Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Options to get PDF with CMYK?

Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice on how to produce a PDF with CMYK.
    I've got Xara Photo & Designer 9 which more than suits my needs for the work I do.
    That was until recently when I needed artwork to be exported as PDF with CMYK

I do know my option is to just upgrade to Pro, but weighing up my usage against costs, I can't justify it.
    Any suggestions for viable options or a cheap (preferably free) way to achieve this?

regards Colin

Default Re: Options to get PDF with CMYK?

One thing you can consider is to output 300dpi CMYK TIFF image or images. Or you could contact your fellow country person sledger (www.xara-users.info) and see if he would be willing to convert your file to PDF/X in his version of Designer Pro X9.

You could get one of the many PDF printer drivers to convert your Xara file to PDF. Make sure it has the PDF X-1a facility on its export as others don't convert the RGB colours to CMYK.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Or you could contact your fellow country person sledger (www.xara-users.info) and see if he would be willing to convert your file to PDF/X in his version of Designer Pro X9.
    I would, but Colin could spend 30 days converting as many as you wish for free during the trial period with DPX9

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all of your replies & suggestions, it's much appreciated.

@albacore, is there particular PDF printer driver you'd recommend?

regards Colin

Colin, if you can swing the cost, I would recommend picking up Acrobat. Have it convert a PDF for you. It will do the best job of the rgb to CMYK conversion. And be aware that even designing in rgb without regard to the conversion has, or can have, dire shifts in color.

If you would like, I would be happy to take your file and produce the PDF. Just let me know and if so, we can exchange contact info.

Mike, I would think the cost for Acrobat, if you can even get it without having to subscribe to Creative Cloud, would be equal to or less than the price to upgrade to Designer Pro X9.

One can usually find the previous version for a substantial discount. And it has more utility than this one time thing.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your suggestion & kind offer, it's much appreciated.
    I've currently managed to solve my problem by downloading & using the Trial Version of Pro V9.

I've been using Xara since V6 & until now have not needed to use a CMYK PDF...
    ...but Murphy's Law rules my world & the Trial only lasts 30 Days, I'll probably require another in 32 days.
    Given that happened, I'd seriously look at getting the upgrade to Pro V9...
    ...and Murphy's Law would probably kick in & I'd never use a CMYK PDF again.

regards Colin