Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Live effects tool missing in Designer 9

I finally downloaded Designer Pro 9 and installed the 64-bit version and, to my horror, realized it does not support Photoshop plugins. So I uninstalled the 64-bit version and installed the 32-bit version.

But now I find that the live-effects tool seems to be missing from the 32-bit version too!

I had thought the 64-bit version might be a bit more stable, but the old one was pretty stable. So now I'm wondering if I should plunk down money for the new version.

I'm pretty happy with the previous version, which oddly enough is called Xara Designer Pro X (go figure). So I'm going to ask for a possibly politically incorrect and certainly unvarnished opinion: How much of an improvement is the new version over the old?

I use it mostly for making graphics for websites or for making posters, leaflets, and such. I do not use it for website design.

Regards,

Alan

Default Re: Live effects tool missing in Designer 9

Live Effects are now under the 'Fx' button which is on the Photo Tools flyout.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fx.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	98388

There are many improvements to version X9 which are listed on the Xara Designer Pro X9 'What's new' site.

32bit plugins don't run in a 64bit host (PhotoShop is the same) but the simple work-around I have found is to configure the Bitmap editor to something other than XPE. I have an old version of Paintsshop Pro (v6) which loads superfast and and works with all the Adobe plugins I have.
    So, all I do is click Utilities>>Bitmap editor then apply the plugin effect in PSP6, save and it's passed back to DPX 64bit.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    So, all I do is click Utilities>>Bitmap editor then apply the plugin effect in PSP6, save and it's passed back to DPX 64bit.
    Actually, I use this same method but instead of configuring the Bitmap Editor to any old bitmap software I have set it to Xara Designer Pro (i.e. XDP9X's predecessor). It works flawlessly, all my plugins are available and doesn't mean I have to exit Xara at all.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Thanks Sledge and Big Frank,

It would have been nice had I been able to find that out by typing "plug-in" or "live effects" into the help search tool.

I think if I get it, I'll stick to the 32-bit. Your work-around sounds a bit too fiddly for me. I often want to apply live effects to text.

I hope it's not off topic, but what is that XaReg2 download in your signature line?

Regards,

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by alanstancliff View Post
    It would have been nice had I been able to find that out by typing "plug-in" or "live effects" into the help search tool.
    Actually, it does say this in the Help section:

Live Effects (32 bit only)

NOTE: This tool is included in the 64-bit version of Web Designer Premium for legacy reasons only, for documents that use bitmap feathering or bitmap shadow effects, which will work in 64-bit Designer. The 64-bit version does not support general 32-bit Photoshop plug-ins and no 64-bit effects are included with the product.
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    Actually, it does say this in the Help section:

Live Effects (32 bit only)

NOTE: This tool is included in the 64-bit version of Web Designer Premium for legacy reasons only, for documents that use bitmap feathering or bitmap shadow effects, which will work in 64-bit Designer. The 64-bit version does not support general 32-bit Photoshop plug-ins and no 64-bit effects are included with the product.
    Yes Frank,

I realized pretty soon it was not available in the 64-bit version. But when I installed the 32-bit version and went looking for "live effects" and "plug-in," there was absolutely no hint where to find them. In my opinion, when there's that kind of change to the location of such a major tool, one ought to be able find out where to locate it in the help file. Unfortunately, the help file in the 32-bit version does not disclose the location of this tool.

Regards,

Alan

Ah, yes, now I see what you mean. Yes, I too, when installing XDP9X, found the change in icon a bit confusing.
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Steve and Frank's workaround works fine for photos but as Xara can apply live effects to text and any vector selection it's not the best solution. I have both the 64 bit and the 32bit versions installed and I save and shutdown the 64 bit then open the 32 bit and your document will open in the 32 bit just as you left it in the 64 bit. Then I apply and lock the effect close the 32bit version and reopen the 64 bit version and your document is open and your locked live effect is there.

I hope that with next years release Xara comes up with a solution for the 64 bit version to allow us to have our plugins.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by alanstancliff View Post
    I hope it's not off topic, but what is that XaReg2 download in your signature line?
    It's a tool to tweak the registry settings for Xara Designer software, to change certain functions which are not available via the program UI.
    See the latest release here
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...g-2-5-Released!

So I uninstalled the 64-bit version and installed the 32-bit version.
    You can install both the 32bit and the 64bit versions on your computer using the same license key
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64