Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Drag images to other layers?

Hi again, all. Can anyone here tell me how to drag an image from one layer to another? I know how to do that in Photoshop, but I can't figure out how to do it in Xara. Thanks!

Default Re: Drag images to other layers?

I just tried this in Designer Pro X9. Open the layer, select the object and drag it to a new layer.

This seems to have done the trick.

Yep, that did it! Thank you so much!

If I may ask another question...on this art piece I'm working on - when I open it in Xara, the colors are very bright and vibrant. When I export it in TIFF, in 300 dpi CYMK, to my desktop, then open it to view it in Windows Photo Gallery, the colors are much more subtle. Is the color change due to Windows, do you think?

RGB color space is capable of displaying a much wider range of colors than CMYK. So, when you output a CMYK image, the colors will never be as bright or saturated.

to have a decent idea what the final art will look like on print one can choose Window->Show Printer Colors ->Simulate Print Colors. Be aware that Xara will render the colours like they are printed but don't rely on it. Every printer has it's quircks and colour rendition on screens are different that on paper. And be aware that the colourbar in Cara on first instant doesn't reflect the output colours (it's a bug (or feature?))

Don't rely upon the so-called Simulate Print Colors, either. Even with a calibrated display it ain't close for most of the CMYK/RGB gamut. Xara is not a color-managed application.

I do rely on "the numbers" and having physical swatch books. Designing to the numbers is the surest means of getting reasonably accurate prints from Xara products. There is little (to no) shift when outputting to CMYK PDF.

CMYK sucks. It's a dull and lifeless colour space. I've always hated it.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

CMYK doesn't bother me. No color space bothers me. The apparent brightness of CMYK can look, well, brighter, depending upon the stock. I love print. I like designing for print. I even like the mundane aspects of laying out a manual or catalog.

But I don't like green eggs and ham...

Simulate Print Colors gives an idea of how the colors will lose their saturation and intensity. And it gives you a heads up that some colors will shift warmer or cooler and some with become very muted. It is by no means perfect but I have found it gives me a pretty good preview. And when I compare the hundreds of images I have had printed in my stereogram books and our Japanese TJ MOOK magazine series, I would say the printed output is reasonably close to how I expected it to turn out. There have been very few surprises.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    I like designing for print. I even like the mundane aspects of laying out a manual or catalog.
    I always knew you weren't normal... Name:  smiley26.gif
Views: 221
Size:  5.1 KB
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.