Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question web page jumps few pixels from left to right after loading - is it fixable?

Hello, I have issue with pages of my website loading by jumping a few pixels from the left (www.politecomputertutor.com).
    I did upgrade to XARA Designer Pro 9 (64bit) but it does not seems to change a problem - of course I did not upgraded only to fix it

Anyway - who want to analyse code of my website I will be very happy to send as a attachment with hope you can find solution.
    Thank you very much.

Peter

Default Re: web page jumps few pixels from left to right after loading - is it fixable?

Not happening here in IE10, Chrome 29 or FF23

Sometimes browsers react this way when transitions are used.
    Another thing to consider when pages jump to the left is that pages longer than the browser viewport will generate a scrollbar, this will push the page to the left which means that going to a page after that which is not longer than the viewport will cause the new page to jump to the right.
    This can be fixed using the scrollbar gutter tweak.
    http://board.xara-users.info/viewtop...&t=563&start=0

Default Re: web page jumps few pixels from left to right after loading - is it fixable?

Not happening here even in IE8

Seeing it here in Chrome Version 29.0.1547.57. The strange thing is that the scroll bar only appears when you scroll. Could you try this to see if it makes a difference. Name anything on the page NoViewportMeta (right click the object >Names and give it the name, click >add) I think that might work.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

As far as I am aware the viewport meta tag is only used to control layout on mobile browsers.

It's worked for me in the past, so it is worth trying. These jumps never occurred before the introduction of the viewport meta so this will probably work, worth a try anyway.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Not twitching for me.

However, you really should get the website edited by a native English speaker if you want to offer your services to native English speakers.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

I *am* seeing the "twitching" -- in Chrome, Firefox and IE. Same issue in all 3, and on all pages- appears that the page loads and display, and then jogs right a bit. Versions:
    - Chrome 30.0.1599.22 beta-m
    - Firefox 22
    - IE 9.0.8112.16421 - 64 bit edition

What I'm seeing is interesting: when the page first displays, the scroll bar on the right is visible -- a moment later the page twitches as the scroll bar disappears. Once the pages has "settled", no scroll bar is visible.

Why would this happen?

Sounds like the use of transitions.

If the OP removes them this twitching may stop in those browsers that handle them with a 'twitch'

Transitions may be the problem as Sledger said. But I have experienced this in the past when I cut the page content a little too close to the edge. If it isn't transitions, make sure your content isn't so wide that it cuts too close to page edges. I believe there is still some inconsistency in how different browsers display content and all it takes is a few pixels too many to cause an issue.