Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default trying to publish from Xara Web designer 9 Premium to godaddy.com

First, let me say I'm a complete newbie and must be missing something ridiculously obvious to all of you... I've designed a 6 page website which will live at planetbennu.com, hosted by godaddy.com... I've uploaded everything in my "PlanetBennu0_web_files" folder to their ftp root folder, but it does not seem to be translating.

Any tips?

Default Re: trying to publish from Xara Web designer 9 Premium to godaddy.com

It would be best to use Web Designer's internal FTP facility to publish the site to GoDaddy. There's a GoDaddy FTP help page here:

http://support.godaddy.com/help/arti...ur-website-ftp

Aside from the obvious stuff like usernames and passwords etc, the most important bit is the folder that you publish to. On that page it quotes "Our hosting services do not require a "Home" or "Start" directory, so leave the field blank. If the client requires a value, enter a single forward slash followed by your hosting account user name (i.e., /<user name>)." I'd try just putting the forward slash in the WD Publish dialogue and see how that goes, but maybe another member here who is a GoDaddy user can advise you better.

maybe you are trying to upload to the domain root, check in GoDaddy if there is a subfolder to upload your site.

Right jhorta32 - Most web hosting companies want you to publish to a sub folder on their server. Something like public_html or htdocs, or something like this.

If this is a requirement, enter the sub folder in the box shown in my screen capture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	subfolder.png 
Views:	799 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	98360  

One variable to consider is whether you have a single site associated with the account, or multiple -- and what level in the file hierarchy is set as the default when the FTP client logs into GoDaddy.

I've got a couple of sites there: very simple cases - one account / one domain / one website. If your case is that simple, you can actually reference the remote FTP location as www.yoursitename.com (with the proper domain name of course!). No need for any weird server names or directory specification. I do that, and when it connects, I'm at the root directory for the website, and can simple upload the Xara exported files there.

I just looked and GoDaddy do not require a sub directory. So, never mind my previous post.

One question though. When you preview the entire site in WD, is everything working?

Also, you need to publish the entire site even though you have only changed a page or a paragraph.

This might be causing the problems.

You can set up your FTP information in WD > Website Properties > Publish Options > Other Host (Via FTP). Then when you make a change, WD keeps track of what has changed and only makes these changes. But if you are using an external FTP program, or even GoDaddy's web utility, then you need to republish the entire site each time.

I just published a new website to GoDaddy. I'm set up with the Linux front end, don't know how much of the following would apply to the Windows setup.

Here's how I filled out the Xara settings.

========================

FTP Host Address: <put in your website name> For example: "yourwebsite.com" notice I did not put in the "www." prefix

FTP Username: <I ended up using my login user name for the CPanel app.>

FTP Password: <I ended up using my login password for the CPanel app.>

Subfolder: <public_html> notice there are no "/" or "\"

I then tested the settings using the (Explore Web Space) tab at the lower left corner of the OTHER WEB HOST SETTINGS popup window.

Hope this someone.

Jeack