Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to disable drag-and-drop colour dialogue?

Since it's new version Xara asks me which colour I'd like to replace when I drag a colour to an unselected object that has a gradient fill. With Xara 8 you'd have a clue which colour you'd replace for the icon would chance (an arrow with a little block over or under another tiny arrow).
    XDP9 also gives this feedback but once dropped comes up with a dialogue where one can choose which colour you'd like to have replaced. This is a nuisance, actually.

So, I'd love to have this behaviour stopped. Does anyone know if there's a setting or reg-entry that disables this?

(post scriptum: This behaviour even has it's inconsistencies: dragging and dropping a colour over an object with a gradient fill brings up the dialogue. It offers to "replace all" colour but when you select that option it refuses to do that and just replaces the selected colour (the top one)
    If you click a colour in the colourline with a gradient filled object selected the dialogue also shows but when one chooses the "replace all" button it does what it says and replaces all colours except the line colour (which should have been replaces as well)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dropcolourdialogue.png 
Views:	121 
Size:	6.1 KB 
ID:	98232  
    Last edited by Michael; 22 August 2013 at 07:57 PM.

Default Re: How to disable drag-and-drop colour dialogue?

I can verify this. I'll submit it as a bug. Thanks.

Yeah, this dialogue is really annoying. When I select muliple objects to re-colour, I know what I'm doing and if I stuff it up, that's what undo is for. Is it anything anyone even asked for or just some programmer's idea of a good feature?
    Asus Zenbook Duo, 12th Gen Core i7, 16Gb RAM, Windows 11 (fully updated). bandcamp.novakill.com

This is a great feature and allows you to recolour all objects of the same (unamed) colour in a group or all objects no matter which colour with the new colour, yes it's something which has been asked for for a long time.

To bypass the Replace Colour dialog you can either:

* Right-click on the colour line and choose "Set fill colour"
    * Hold down Ctrl+Alt while you click on the colour line
    * Set the registry entry Attributes\EnableColourFamilies to 0 (to completely disable the feature)

Phil

Wonderfull!

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\XtremePro\9.2\Opti ons\Attributes\EnableColourFamilies = 0 did the trick. I've seen that entry but had no clue what it did. Behaviour is back to what we're used to.

Marvellous that someone from Xara is listening and comes up with answers. Thank you very much, Mr Martin.

And, Mr. Sledger; when someone is having trouble with a feature it has no use to reply that it is a "great feature". The implementation of the request to recolour different colours at once is not exactly user friendly and hasn't been implemented very well. Beware not to harass people by too overzealous answers which aren't exactly spot on. If you can't help, don't answer.

@Michael - Thank you for your remarks.
    I like the addition of this feature, it's useful to me and I understand how it works.
    If you don't like the feature and want to revert to the old way, fine - you may now do so..

I, for one, will probably disable it. I have found it useful, but only on odd occasions. Additionally, as Hakoo and I reported a couple of weeks ago, it is bugged. I purposely click on a shape that has a gradient fill and select a whole colour to remove the gradient fill. With this dialog it adds an extra step which, for some of us is a backward step, not a forwards step.

Whereas some people may find this a great feature, I am pleased that this is now an optional feature and maybe the makers of the Xara registry programs can add this to their app so that that newer users will know that it's optional.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    maybe the makers of the Xara registry programs can add this to their app so that that newer users will know that it's optional.
    It is done, along with some other requests
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...g-2-5-Released!

For what it's worth - if you are using the fill tool, it works like it used to: you drag a color to the "stop" position in the gradient and it replaces that color without any questions. Only if you are NOT using the fill tool and drag a color to an object with multiple colors does it prompt for this - at least that's been my experience.

There are some instances where it can be wierd to get the dialog, but for the most part I've found it useful . Sure, sometimes, it causes an extra step, but in some instances, it removes a step such as having to switch to the fill tool, from where you are.

Just a few thoughts.