Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

xdp6 I just got the XP9 upgrade but....

I just want Xara to know that I had one hell of a time justifying the price of this upgrade. Given we can use external image editors with much more functionality and options, the focus on image editing, to me, is overkill and repetitive. The web templates look like they are all from the same mold. In fact, I used Net Objects Fusion (a "newbie" package) in the past and the templates look the same. IMO, this should have been a $50 upgrade because I paid $108 mostly for what I can do in my image editing program with many more options. My wish is that Xara's template designers would get "out of the square box" with more creative use of screen space. I got Xara for VECTOR graphics and would like to see more tools for vector and effects. I have paid for many upgrades but feel this time I "gave" money to Xara in the hopes of future development.

Default Re: I just got the XP9 upgrade but....

Preaching. Choir. You know the saying.

I use a variety of bitmap applications for image oriented work. I also use a few vector applications for editing/creating vector work. None of either type do it all. That said, XDP lags way behind in significant ways as regards vector stuff. I would do less in the other apps and more in Xara if they would catch up more.

Ironic that a program designed for vector graphics is making major releases around non-vector based features and asking top dollar for it. Xara has seriously lost its way from its core mission which all brought us to this product in the first place; vector graphics. There are so many things that could be done to improve its core vector tools like allowing naming of objects, groups, and layers. Making it easier to define multi-level gradients, page/layer gallery search capabilities, and ease of defining file names for specific objects upon export. E.g. look at your competition and at least try to stay on par with the feature sets.

The only thing of note in this release is the x64 support which should have been done five years ago. Its no surprise though since the company is ignoring its users. There is zero attempt to capture requirements/improvements from the community and put them back into the product. You don't and will not have my cash until your flagship product's core focus is back on course with vector based improvements and you officially make an effort to listen to your paid users on your official site.

There is zero attempt to capture requirements/improvements from the community and put them back into the product. You don't and will not have my cash until your flagship product's core focus is back on course with vector based improvements and you officially make an effort to listen to your paid users on your official site.
    To each his own.