Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best workflow for creating and applying "border with shadow"

Hi,

I would appreciate help.

I created "border with shadow" based on a rectangle with line color and no fill, then I applied "shadow" effect.
    Considering I intend to use this border as a template on other photos, I have two issues:

a) I would need the shadow effect just out of the border, but I couldn't achieve that. The default effect inserts shadow inside and outside the rectangle line, and when applied on other photo the inside shadow is undesirable. Is it possible to have shadow effect just out of the border?

b) When using the template on other photos, the process I'm performing is (1) drag&drop border on photo, (2) select/copy photo, and (3) select border/paste size and position. Then the border matches image perfectly! Is it the faster and straightforward workflow for using the border template on other photos?

I recorded my screen showing what I'm performing: https://goo.gl/Ofm2hx

Thanks!
    Carlos_Cadu

Default Re: Best workflow for creating and applying "border with shadow"

Hi Carlos,

One solution would be to apply the white line and the shadow directly to the photo object.

Marc

Hi Mark,

Thanks for reply!

It seems to "apply the white line and the shadow directly to the photo" should work, although I'm having difficult to achieve that because:

1) In the selected photo, when I set line color to white, the line is overlapping the photo internal space. Do you know if it is possible to set the line to appear from the photo edge to the out side?

2) Since I couldn't accomplish (1) I tried the "contour tool", which worked setting the line from the photo edge to the out side, but I couldn't set the line color to white. Do you know if it is possible to set "white" color in "contour tool"?

I recorded my screen showing what I'm trying: https://goo.gl/AslRLU

Cheers,
    Carlos

Drag the desired color to the countour, or select just the contour in the layers panel/gallery and set the color.

Oh, and there is no setting for whether a line should be positioned inside or outside. It always is middle. Been requested before.

Thanks for feedback mwenz.

Regarding:
    Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Drag the desired color to the countour, or select just the contour in the layers panel/gallery and set the color.
    When using the "contour tool" on a shape (e.g. rectangle) I can easily change the contour color to a solid color as white.

However, when applying a color on a photo, the contour has a kind of transparency and I can't achieve a solid color (actually, black gets solid, but not white). I recorded my screen showing the issue: https://goo.gl/wfRrZW

Is there any trick to add a white solid color on a photo (jpeg) by using the "contour tool"?

Cheers.

Try selecting the contour in Tha page and layout gallery and selecting the color. Not at a computer today but I think that works...

Quote Originally Posted by cadudesun View Post
    the contour has a kind of transparency and I can't achieve a solid color .
    Hi Carlos,

I didn't know this contour "feature" existed. It's a kind of darker shade tiling, if you drag the contour big enough you'll see it..
    Kind of weird, I'm not sure what the usage of this would be.

I don't have any idea how to make it solid, I've tried coping another shape and pasting the attributes but it seems contour properties aren't propagated.

There doesn't seem to be anything for this in the help either, maybe others will know.

Marc

Hi mwenz. Solved.
    The tricky is to apply white color into "dark contone", be it through "colour editor" be it through right clicking the color in bar.
    It seems just photos have this peculiarity, since with shapes I could simply drag&drop color into contour.
    Cheers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot_2017-04-18_n01.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	117086

Hi Carlos, you posted whilst I was doing the video below. Here's my approach

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host