Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Option: "do not divide hyperlinks with word wrap"

Please create an option such that when using word wrap in Web Designer 9 Premium the hyperlink does NOT divide
    up (break up) with whatever word or words run to the next line. That is crazy! Example: If the description, "swivel glider chair" is hyperlinked and the word "chair" is pushed to the next line using word wrap, when a user hovers over the description, the link will treat the description as separate links and only highlight them as such. This is just silly and
    looks plain weird. I would be ok even if there was a fix that one could apply to the registry until this gets resolved.

Should be an option in the page gallery that has a check box for "do not divide hyperlinks with word wrap".

Default Re: Dear Xara,..please FIX THIS!!!!

Should be an option in the page gallery that has a check box for "do not divide hyperlinks with word wrap".

Should be a thread in the Dear Xara forum that says "Please do not divide hyperlinks with word wrap" rather than "please FIX THIS !!!".

I guess it is annoying, but not a great thread title.

You are so right. I meant to put that in the text box and not as the subject header. Wish I could fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by TDolce View Post
    You are so right. I meant to put that in the text box and not as the subject header. Wish I could fix that.
    You can. Contact the forum moderator and he/she will be able to change it.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Hopefully the moderator that does that will tidy up the thread too.

It's not the end of the world if it's left as is.

Default Re: Option: "do not divide hyperlinks with word wrap"

Quote Originally Posted by TDolce View Post
    Please create an option such that when using word wrap in Web Designer 9 Premium the hyperlink does NOT divide
    up (break up) with whatever word or words run to the next line. That is crazy! Example: If the description, "swivel glider chair" is hyperlinked and the word "chair" is pushed to the next line using word wrap, when a user hovers over the description, the link will treat the description as separate links and only highlight them as such. This is just silly and
    looks plain weird. I would be ok even if there was a fix that one could apply to the registry until this gets resolved.

Agreed -- this would be such an incredibly useful option -- and one that would help me tremendously if it were available today. In my case, I've put together a page with 20 FAQ items for a client, and a number of the questions are lengthy run 2 to 3 lines, with blank space between each question. When the user hovers of the link it should highlight - but due to the wysiwyg positioning (which is, indeed, a welcome feature in the vast majority of use cases), and each line getting put in its own div, the lines highlight independently of each other on a mouseover event.

I'm aware of the manual technique to address this, e.g., add HTMLBlockText to the name list for the selected text, and add a 1-character placeholder before and after the wrapped text so that the beginning and end of an HTML a-tag are wrapped around your selected text on publication.

The placeholder / HTMLBlockText technique works, but as far as I know, it only works with a true hyperlink to another page. In my case - the links are intended to pop up a window that provides the Answer to the clicked FAQ question. I haven't figured out yet how to reference the popup layer and still make this "wrapped link" technique work.

I did see another way of managing popups -- and being able to explicitly open and close any number of popups on a single click. It's a bit tedious on a page with more than a few popups, as you have to explicitly specify the page(s) to open, and then make sure that you also specify that all other popup items close. Since I have 20 popup layers to contend with, a typical onclick "link" that I specify looks like:

popup:"faq1" close "faq2", "faq3", "faq4", "faq5", "faq6", "faq7", "faq8", "faq9", "faq10", "faq11", "faq12", "faq13", "faq14", "faq15", "faq16", "faq17", "faq18", "faq19", "faq20"

For those who haven't seen this yet, this is the kind of line you'd provide in the "link" field on the Web Properties / Link tab instead of a "real" URL. This approach is powerful in that you can specify any number of popup layers to open, and any number to close, as well as the time duration for the open and close sequences. BUT...using this doesn't provide a clean wrap-around highlighted link. When I tried highlighting the wrapped link and applying the HTMLBlockText name to it, it seems that the HTML filter no longer chose to honor the lengthy open/close layer instructions that I had pasted in the link field in Web Properties.

I'm stuck right now, in that I need to:

1) have properly highlighting line-wrapped links

2) have the links, when clicked, pop up a specific layer - and close all others

With all the tools and workaround techniques, I don't see how to accomplish this. If anyone can chime in with a suggestion, it would be most appreciated!

If anyone wants to look at the FAQ page, there's a test version online at: http://stronggroup.com/hlv/faq.htm

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

I agree. A single link should highlight the entire phrase, and not be split over two lines. When it does, it in fact looks like the designer doesn't know what he's doing.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Amen Brother! Perhaps this will be addressed in the next free update.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    I agree. A single link should highlight the entire phrase, and not be split over two lines. When it does, it in fact looks like the designer doesn't know what he's doing.
    It's a consequence of absolute positioning CSS output, to maintain WYSIWYG.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    It's a consequence of absolute positioning CSS output, to maintain WYSIWYG.

I understand the rationale, but it would help tremendously if we had a choice. I'd think that something working somewhat like HTMLBlockText could be implemented for this. I obviously can't speak for what others want, but my own use case involves flowing lengthy text constrained by a text area, and in my case, it doesn't matter that text may flow a bit differently as long as it stays within the text area.

I know that workarounds have been offered for some of the cases, such as inserting a non-printing single character placeholder before and after the text string, holding the opening and closing parts of an A tag respectively (and also adding the HTMLBlockText name to the same text). This works well if you have a straight HTML URL to follow -- although it's something of a pain if you have a lot of these to set up and maintain.

However (and maybe I just don't know how to do this?), I haven't seen a way to have one of these links trigger a popup.

The second non-standard technique that I've seen for popups is to use the special "popup: " syntax in the URL field of Web properties. Again -- highly manual, and...links defined this way also will not wrap around more than one line, even if the entire string is named HTMLBlockText.

Here's an example of what I'm trying to do:

http://stronggroup.com/hlv/faq.htm

Each FAQ item is a separate popup layer. Unfortunately, I don't see a way to have the multi-line FAQ questions highly as a single unit, rather than separate lines -- AND be able to trigger popups (as opposed to following standard URL's).

Any help would be most appreciated!