Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Macros

Default Macros

Is there any way to perform a series of keystrokes using a single short-cut key?

Default Re: Macros

Welcome to TalkGraphics Eric

No. I know what you are thinking and this would be terrific. I have argued for years for a Ctrl R (repeat last step or steps), or an array as you are suggesting. But I suspect if it were possible to implement, it would have been done so some time ago.

A lot has to do with the basic code and what will and will not work without making other features not work.

But I suspect if it were possible to implement, it would have been done so some time ago.
    Ah, come on. Adding a repeat isn't that hard.

Adding the ability to write and run scripting (as well as plug-ins) would alleviate some pressure for new or improved functionality from the programmers in the long run. I think that is a major reason whey Adobe and Quark don't add in certain functionality--if it can be done via scripting or plug-ins, why mess with the code!

Have at it Mike. You are obviously more familiar with this than I am.

Last application programming stint I did was for $125,000 a year. That was 2002-2005. They know my email address.

The operations one performs are kept in one or more undo stack(s). It isn't rocket science to pull them back out for performing a repeat. The trick is needing to pull X number into an array for more than a single operation repeat. How many to stick into the/an array, which to toss (not all may be applicable), etc.

However, opening XDP up to scripting (would only make sense from a value added standpoint to add to XDP) and/or plug-in architecture would make a programmatic repeat unnecessary.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Is what you are talking about something like PS actions? In some situations I could see something like that being handy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Has anyone tried the free DoItAgain? ► http://www.spacetornado.com/DoItAgain/
    Or AutoHotKey (also free) ? ► http://www.autohotkey.com/

I have tried AutoHotKey. Mucks with several applications I run. Prevents internal hot key use, causes some other wierdness in ID and PP and if I recall, in AI.

The undo stack contains a description of how to undo a particular operation and includes actions related to specific objects in the document.

It does not contain a description of how to do that operation again or how to make the new operation apply to a different set of objects in the document.

Sorry but it just aint that simple.

And for scripting every operation needs to have its particular input parameters translated from interpreted script to C++ structures and outputs translated the other way (amongst other things). That's not difficult, just very time and resource consuming.

Phil
    Last edited by PhilM; 11 August 2013 at 11:44 PM.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Thanks Phil for that explanation.

@ Steve: Have you tried those programs with any Xara programs?
    @ Mike: did you try Auto Hot Key with any Xara programs?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.