Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: When I Erase Background for a bitmap and export to PDF, the outline looks terribl

To all - Can we bring this thread back to being civil and less antagonistic please?

@M4R5 - I don't think that any of Sledgers replies have been unhelful or off topic, he has asked you to provide an example of what you're working on. There are people visiting this forum from all over the world and just because you've capitalised 2 words in your title (Erase Background) doesn't say explicitly that you are referring to the 'Background Erase Tool' as opposed to any other method of erasing a background. It is not until post 10 that you actually mention the Background Erase Tool.

Default Re: When I Erase Background for a bitmap and export to PDF, the outline looks terribl

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    The erase background tool leaves a fringe around the background. I cannot argue with that.
    OK. So there are two functions called Erase Background?

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    ...try out the improved erase background feature in the Photo & Graphic Designer 9
    I'm not sure anyone has quite grasped yet that I am using the all singing all dancing Erase Background function that is called Erase Background (with capital letters) as detailed in your link. Thanks for that. And I think it is good within Xara. However it is quite bad when you export from Xara. And this seems related to the bad alpha-transparency export which has been characteristic of Xara for a long time. The one which no-one here seems to have ever noticed.

I think that there is very little to be gained from new functions which can't export their results. If I can't export to another file format and I can't print the document without rendering issues then what good is the new feature? This is a massive problem for the software. I don't think the problem is unique to the new Erase Background feature. It happens with many other functions that apply alpha-transparency.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    It is not until post 10 that you actually mention the Background Erase Tool.
    By that logic I can interpret what you wrote any way I like, ignoring actual definitions and grammar, and I can make your post mean anything that I want it to. Fantastic logic. Good going there. You'll go far on these forums. And by "forums" I mean "chairs", and by "grammar" I mean "horses".

EDIT: Oh and it's not a tool. It's a function of the erase tool. I'm sure I didn't say "tool "cos that would be wrong. I called it what it is, just like the author of XaraXone, who's done a good job of writing properly.

If you have nothing useful, polite or constructive to add please do not reply.

If you would like to reply to one of my previous posts (below) then we may be able to help.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    What you've uploaded is a screenshot, not a .xar file that you're working on so others can see if they can help you. If you don't want to upload it in a public arena then please send the file to the support team

I've had a look at trying to reproduce the problem you've seen (as far as I can without seeing what exactly you have done) and think I can see the problem you're having.

1. Are you exporting the PDF as High Quality PDF?

2. If you change the zoom level in the exported PDF does this change at all?

im going to look at this "Erase Background" thing (copied & pastred in quotes for clarity and so the op doesn-t accuse me of being in league with the devils hamster

ill be back with me less than objectuive and probably erroneous report
    dont go away
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

right

ive done erase background to a photo i took

the xar file shows my results
    the pdf file shows the export

doh, silly me, the files are too big to upload
    so heres a screenshot sadly at the low tg resoltuion) showing that
    the results are identical

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clip0008.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	97948

so whats the problem?
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

I tried the new tools--and functions--in XDP9. Worked fine with the image Gary used in his article. Try the attached. Keep track of time and report that as well. Show the result on a black background, zoom in to say 400%...and zoom in to 400% in Reader or Acrobat.

I probably am not using the mask tool and the erase BG function well.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rat-fink-ed-big-daddy-roth1-519x752.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	97950  

Ok, Ok. I'll go first.

XDP at 400% zoom once the background is eliminated:

Name:	capture-000489.png 
Views:	94 
Size:	183.3 KB 
ID:	97951

In the PDF at 400% zoom

Name:	capture-000490.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	164.2 KB 
ID:	97952

100% in the PDF

Name:	capture-000491.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	97953

I would go to print.

Oh. My time is 30 seconds from loading the JPG file attached previously until the BG is gone. But it was done in ...

Mike

Here's mine. Seems to work as I would expect.
    Attached Files Attached Files

How long did it take, Gary?

I am traveling, don't wanna do the PDF on the phone. Got a screen shot at 400%?