Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Publishing Program In Xara Designer Pro X9

I just recently upgraded to Xara Designer Pro X9 and ran into problem when I tried to publish. Received message saying Website URL not know. After having problem publishing in X9, I opened up the same Xara document in Xara Designer Pro X and was able to publish successfully without any problems.

Has anyone else ran into this issue?

note: I have blocked out the ftp-server url name and other information on attachment because I do not wish to share it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara-publish-problem.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	97728  

Default Re: Publishing Program In Xara Designer Pro X9

Does your web host require you to publish in a sub directory? You do not show one in your information.

No. As I said, I was able to publish in XDPro9 but not in XDPro9X. I submitted a ticket to Xara so hopefully I will hear from them soon and get this resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by zee View Post
    I was able to publish in XDPro9 but not in XDPro9X.

This doesn't look like an error, version 9 displays your website URL as a link at the end of the publish process to provide a quick means of viewing the website.

The message ( and not error) 'Website URL not known. Please enter it with your FTP settings' is shown on the 'publish to web' dialog if no website address is entered within the 'website url' field within the 'Other settings dialog'

This doesn't prevent you from publishing. Please enter your website url from the other setting dialog in order to prevent this message from being displayed.

Thanks

Sorry, but your explanation doesn't quite make sense to me. Entry of the website URL on Options Settings is "optional". Message very misleading. Definitely seems like error to me.

Also, when I publish in XDProX9 I am not prompted where to save files on my computer.

It's not an error, it's just letting you know that you have not entered your website URL. What this means is that the Publish Complete dialog will not give you a clickable link to go directly to your published website, and you are not exporting the sitemap.xml or robots.txt files with oyur website (all things that are different between entering it and not).

You are not prompted where to export the website locally any longer in v9 because the publish process has been streamlined to not need to you choose where to export the website to locally, Web Designer will handle all of this for you. You just need to click Publish and it publishes.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    You are not prompted where to export the website locally any longer in v9 because the publish process has been streamlined to not need to you choose where to export the website to locally, Web Designer will handle all of this for you. You just need to click Publish and it publishes.
    This is a deal breaker for me. For backup purposes, I like to have all the files saved on my computer in a separate folder for each of my websites. I also keep other items that are not included in .xar file (PDFs, etc.) in this same folder. I'll be switching back to XDPro9. What is the procedure for requesting refund on XDPro9X?

[QUitionally, OTE=zeirectory e;484676]This is a deal breaker for me. For backup purposes, I like to have all the files saved on my computer in a separate folder for each of my websites. I also keep other items that are not included in .xar file (PDFs, etc.) in this same folder. I'll be switching back to XDPro9. What is the procedure for requesting refund on XDPro9X?[/QUOTE]

Don't be too hasty! The publish function chooses it's own temp directory for exporting the site before the files are transferred to their publishing destination... But, you still have the Export Website function that asks you to specify the location for export, and of course the ability to save your source (XAR) file wherever you like as well. Everything can be copied, backed up, saved, etc.

The project I'm working on involves a few tools: I publish the Xara website code to "xara_export" directory; I publish code from the web form builder that I'm using to a "wfb_export" directory, and any other server side pages such as php scripts to their own export directories. These all live under a directory for the whole site.

Additionally, I have source directories in the same group, such as "xara_source" where I stash the xar files, wfb_source, etc. I also have a "merged" directory where I assemble the lot, as well as a local host testing directory under my belt WAMP stack's control. All works quite well, all can be backed up, easy to maintain multiple versions, etc. You really have all the control you need.

Jon,
    Thank you for information on the Export Website function. Another step, but that may be the solution.
    Zee