Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default items creeping on page....

Hi all,

I'm in a complete quandry. Items are creeping within my webpages. For a great example please look here: http://www.mobileremaps.co.uk/chip-tuning-blog.htm

For the life of me I cannot figure out why! Once I've reset the page items to where they should be and re-publish that page. It looks great. Fine. But if I create another page from scratch or amend a different page, save the document the items move by 1 pixel. So you can see from the link attached that I've added quite a few pages to our site recently that has resulted in such movement.

Here's the other odd thing. I first noticed the creep on the three boxes and text on our home page, performance tuning page and economy tuning pages but not our blog pages. Now it's just happened on the blog page and not the other 3 pages I have just mentioned... so a complete mystery to me!

As anyone else experienced this on-page creeping before? If so, what was the cause? I'd love to know because I'm getting annoyed trying to adjust everything time and again.

thank you for your help
    Autoevo

Default Re: items creeping on page....

Some pages have a shadow; this will affect the positioning of the centre of the page so repeat items will be displaced by half the shadow's extent.

Acorn

Thanks for your reply. Are you suggesting that removing the page shadow will stop the creeping?

http://www.mobileremaps.co.uk/economy-mpg-tuning.htm

I've not done an update since yesterday and it appears overnight the text on this page and others has creeped to the left... it keeps doing this. Sometimes 1 pixel at a time, othertimes 2 pixels at a time. Looking at the above pages I would think it's creeped to the left by 4 pixels at least and there is no shadow on the page... so am confused

I think that whatever the issue is, part of it is related to some caching of your content - either on your browser and/or web host.

Pages don't magically change overnight, but caches may be refreshed.

Hi Pauland

thanks for your reply. If it were just caching then pressing f5 would update the cache and my customers would see it either... it's really got me stumped this has

This is always going to be subjective so here is a suggestion.

Add a Guides layer on each and every page - lucky if you started you site with one already.
    Set up horizontal and vertical guides in whole pixel positions; ideally a multiple of 5px.
    Stabilise all of your major assets against these guides by having Snap to Guides selected (NUM 2).
    Additionally place horizontal and vertical lines, the same colour of your Page background at the bottom of your page items so they are there, published but invisible to anyone.
    Then, in Chrome, right click and select inspect Element.
    You can then check the relative positions of your images against the invisible lines to prove or disprove creep.

Can you evidence the creep in your Xara design?
    If so, is it possible you are selecting a item and pressing Alt-Arrow thinking you are doing something but are actually moving the image one pixel?
    Do you have repeat objects that you are adjusting against a datum on one page where that datum is actually slightly different on other pages?

Acorn

I have had a similar problem. I have one page with about 8 pictures anchored to text. When I publish the project everything is where it is supposed to be. After a few days of working on other pages and publishing, without going to the page with the pictures on it, I find that the pictures have moved. That was without ever going back to that page.

It has happened enough times that I finally gave up and removed the anchors. After that the pictures all stay where I placed them.