Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default DXF or DWG CAD Import/Export

I know this has been mentioned before, every now and again, but I thought I would throw this out there again.

I have been a happy Xara user for years and it has all the facilities I need for transferring my CAD work into PDF, Illustrator and EPS. files and doing graphics to explain my ideas.

I have been transferring my files to and from a CAD program to Xara as Illustrator files and then adding colour, creating multi page documents etc.

My CAD software is no longer available and I am now going to have to purchase another CAD program.

The difficulty I am going to have is getting my CAD files into Xara without losing any of the quality (namely Arcs & Circles as true entities as opposed to lots of small lines).

Printing to PDF doesn't work as this just produces the aforementioned small line segments in the PDF, which if I was to give to a Graphic Designer he wouldn't be able to position his Artwork over what looks like a hexagon but is actually a rounded corner or circle!

So with my ignorance to the fore is there any way using programming, a plug in or similar could be incorporated (I realise there is a financial aspect to this as I can't program) into Xara to give this DXF or DWG export/import function?

Failing that is there any information on Xara's file format that I could give to my CAD programmer and do it the other way round and incorporate a Xara import/export facility in my CAD software?

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks in advance,

Dazhee

Default Re: DXF or DWG CAD Import/Export

Quote Originally Posted by Dahzee View Post
    My CAD software is no longer available and I am now going to have to purchase another CAD program.
    What's the issue here? You're CAD program no longer works due to a new computer or new operating system? Simplest fix, since it seemed to work ok in past, is to get it up and running again, if possible.

I've harped on dwg/dxf export/import capabilities for years now and seeing the direction Xara has chosen, it just ain't never gonna happen! So forget about it.

Have you tried CutePDF as an alternative to xara's pdf? I prefer it and have had good results.

Now, should you be interested, I have a lot of experience in CAD/PDF/Bitmap/Vector conversions...just let me know exactly what you are looking for and I'd be glad to offer you a quote. It perhaps could work nicely for the both of us.

All Success,
    Minstrel
    ...the best is yet to come!

Hi Dahzee,

Draftsight is a free cad software that reads dxf dwg, and if I remember correctly it export clean non-segmented arcs that keeps their color in PDF.
    You also might want to check out Solidedge free2d or Nanocad.

Otherwise there is Viacad 2d that's relatively inexpensive.

Marc

I have used Solid Edge which is free and found it fine using it mainly with AI but occasionally with Xara. You probably know that AI has a good DXF import filter and that is why I used Illy for the most as well as the fact that many of the free CAD programmes do not allow PDF export which is not the case with Solid Edge. At the moment I haven't got it installed on computer so cant tell you about exporting as AI doc or eps as memory is so bad but I did use PDF.
    Design is thinking made visual.

@ Minstrel, Thanks for the reply, be careful you don't get frostbite from the lofty position you seem to have taken on this issue, the air must be very thin up there on your high horse

I suggest you vote with your feet and dump Xara if you feel that strongly about it!

I am only playing with you Minstrel, please don't take offence!

I am as disappointed as other people on this forum about some of the "Pro" features missing in Xara (page size limit etc.) but I realise Xara has to do what it does to make money, not just satisfy me!

The reason I can't use my CAD software any more is that it is no longer developed, and I want to move to a program that is still supported and can be customised.

My CAD requirements are already sorted, as I have narrowed it down to software that suits my needs.

Can I presume from the replies that Xara is a completely closed program apart from the Photoshop style plug ins and they don't publish their file format?

It seems the best route is going to be to customise my CAD software to suit Xara or change to another graphics program.

Thanks for your input guys, I will let you know how I get on if anybody else is interested!

Cheers,

Dahzee

Quote Originally Posted by Dahzee View Post
    I suggest you vote with your feet and dump Xara if you feel that strongly about it!
    Dahzee
    ...now that's a good one! Truth is, I have dumped Xara. I've pulled the plug on further upgrading since version Pro7. Sure, I still use it here and there, but it no longer holds my hopes and expectations for enhanced vector tools and CAD compatibility capabilities as it once did beginning with my initial purchase of Xara X1. And it sadly has fallen way behind the pack of what's currently available.

So, there's no 'frost-bite' concerns from my 'back to reality' position...my feet are firmly on the ground...and, of course, no offence taken!

All Success,
    Minstrel
    ...the best is yet to come!