Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Favorite New Features In Xara Designer Pro X9

What is your favorite new feature in Xara Designer Pro X9? Since DPX9 is a combination of several Xara programs that have been released in the last few months there may be some new features that others aren't aware of or have forgotten.

One of my favorites is the Object & Navbar Recoloring. Gary discussed this new feature in his First Look tutorial on Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 9 at http://xaraxone.magix.net/PGD9/page%205.htm.
    Last edited by zee; 26 July 2013 at 01:19 PM.

Default Re: Favorite New Features In Xara Designer Pro X9

So far I think it's probably been the new background erase. The recoloring feature is great too but I've not used it as much so far.
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

New background erase is a great tool. I'm not sure though if I would have been able to figure out how to correctly use it if it wasn't for Gary's tutorial at http://xaraxone.magix.net/PGD9/page%203.htm - Thanks Gary!

Yes, I too thought Gary's discussion of the new features was very helpful, but the tutorial I found most useful for Background Erase was Angelize's video

One thing I love about Xara is the incredible help available, videos etc. from Xara's creative geniuses. I am following this thread because I am having a hell of a time justifying the price of this particular upgrade and didn't want to start a thread that descended into negativity. I have many Xara products and have bought every upgrade of Xara and what stopped me this time was the focus on pixel editing instead of vector tools, effects and more creative libraries of templates etc. As I was reading the "what's new" section I found myself thinking, "I can do that in PaintShop Pro, this isn't why I got Xara." I also watched Angelize's awesome video but was thinking, "2 clicks in PSP and the background is gone." There was a plethora of fonts already available so google fonts, to me, is just fontmania. The doc to webpage feature can be done in the doc programs. So, I am hoping this thread helps me see what I might not be seeing. If the upgrade was half what it is I would upgrade just to upgrade but, so far, I am looking to buy an effects tool instead to add something I find more useful while remaining open to hear other's favorite new features.

My favourite tool is the Photo Heal Tool, it's works a treat.
    I use Paint Shop Pro & Xara side by side. PSP doesn't have anything as good as the Photo Heal Tool, so I jump between the two applications.
    The Background Eraser is great too.
    :-)

Grenou

Quote Originally Posted by richinri View Post
    I also watched Angelize's awesome video but was thinking, "2 clicks in PSP and the background is gone."
    It's been many years since I used Paint Shop Pro, so I can't comment on what's possible now, but I suspect that the "2 clicks" method might work well when the background is very different from the object in the foreground, but not for more complicated situations, like the one in Angelize's video.

For a much faster example of background erase see the short video by bcire68.

Quote Originally Posted by Grenou View Post
    My favourite tool is the Photo Heal Tool, it's works a treat.
    I agree, the Photo Heal Tool is terrific. Lots of programs have tools that will remove a small object from a photo. What's really impressive about the Photo Heal Tool is that often it will also succeed in removing larger objects where the background that needs to replace the object is somewhat varied. I've seen it do this at times in a single pass.

Perhaps because I haven't yet had a lot of experience with the Photo Heal Tool, when it has difficulty removing large objects, I turn to a little program that used to be my favorite, InPaint. It will take more steps, but I feel I have more control over the process. For most things, though, I now turn first to the Photo Heal Tool.

Hard to say what my favorite feature is because there are a few. But I really appreciate the improvements in publishing a website. It is much easier and quicker now. And I love the link to the published site when the upload is complete.

Hi, I use XWD7 Premium on a fairly regular basis for a couple of really simple personal sites. (http://www.lnbartsworkshop.net/ ) I really like it compared to anything else I've looked at. I even own 8 but still finding 7 to do my simple jobs well enough. I might upgrade to 9 provided all the programs live together well and that they don't dominate resources and space. If I like the other xara programs I might give up the Corel equivalents I am using.

My question is ...will the others included in Designer Pro X9 complicate my understanding and use of just plain old web page design like I now use in 7? IE: will this be a step backwards for me due to complexity?

Many thanks for your input/suggestions.

(PS: Hi Gary P...How'd you like that little breeze last Friday? Awesome, huh!)