Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Newb confirmation

Greetings from Louisiana. I just purchased this fantastic program. I've managed my current site since 1998 and did it myself with an old program using HTML code. It was a real plain paper website and I had 55 individual pages/files to upload to get it going. As such, whenever I needed to update something I would edit a page and FTP JUST that page/file to my site.

I've only begun to play with my index page with Xara but it looks like All the pages are in one file????? If so, then when I publish I'd have to FTP just one file named index.html??

I'm looking for clarification or correction? I saw a page name option but wondered why? If they are really just pages in a single file.

I'm watching videos in you tube (134 of them), videos on the Xara site, and the manual.

Of any of you have other suggestions, I'm all ears. And apologies for any in correctness. I'm a retired vet in his 60's and not as quick as I used to be! Haha

Default Re: Newb confirmation

Your site is contained in one Xara native *.web file but may contain many pages which when exported are all separate .html pages.
    Rather like a Word document is one file but may have many pages or one PDF file can contain many pages.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Your site is contained in one Xara native *.web file but may contain many pages which when exported are all separate .html pages.
    Rather like a Word document is one file but may have many pages or one PDF file can contain many pages.
    Runs for the quick reply Sledger. I take it the process of publishing does all the work of separating the pages?
    I know that my current site page names are evident when I put a cursor over a section of the browser. Will this continue IF I name the pages?
    If I don't name them, I believe i read that Xara will continue with the file name for each page along with an numerical designation?

Looking forward to tapping into this forums expertise. It looks like its well used!!!!

Thnx again

Quote Originally Posted by Richie1027 View Post
    I take it the process of publishing does all the work of separating the pages?
    It does.
    Your design is processed by the HTMLfilter.dll and converted to web pages.
    Xara Web Designer is not a HTML editor.

It is advised that you name your pages in Web Properties >> Page >> Page file name.
    If anything else, it's better for SEO.

If you want to have separate pages to update rather than one huge single file.... you can create single pages and name them other than index... the program will pop up saying that you should not change the page name from index... but go ahead anyway... You must then link your new page to a button or area on your index page in order to call it up for viewing on your web site. You can also jump from one page to another by linking a button for example to the new page without returning to the index page. By this approach you can have as many separate pages and .web files as you want. There are several approaches to this used often to reduce the size of individual pages which can be troublesome at times Walt