Thread: Brochures

Default Re: Brochures

brochure2013.xarHere is the file
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

Your file displays fine here , Grace.
    I did notice that the page numbers in your screenshot are larger than normal.
    Perhaps you have your Windows screen scaling set higher than default (100% / 96dpi) This would probably be the cause.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-07-25_110723.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	97499  

I thought that I was set to normal. I didn't fiddle with anything. However, I just looked at the Xara introduction file and I see the same thing there - so I guess it is something to do with my system. Thanks, as long as it doesn't mean anything I can live with it. I will load XDP9 on my other Windows 8 system and see what happens there.
    Thanks.
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

Quote Originally Posted by gracehjs View Post
    That is what I was doing in the past. Now, I have DTP in XDP9, so I just tell the programme 3 columns and it sorts it out itself. I wondered if there was some kind of option to show the fold lines.
    Glad XDP can have different column widths automagically.

The sample wasn't about columns. It was about where the paper was going to be folded. You would have still needed text areas, column-based or not.

Good luck.

One or two of the sample brochures in the designs gallery have fold lines indicated in the guides layer. By default the guides layer is hidden. An example of this is Trifold DL flyer 04 in the second set of brochures, flyers and newspapers. Ideal for chocoholics!
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by tonylondon View Post
    One or two of the sample brochures in the designs gallery have fold lines indicated in the guides layer. By default the guides layer is hidden. An example of this is Trifold DL flyer 04 in the second set of brochures, flyers and newspapers. Ideal for chocoholics!
    Er, that brochure uses 3 equal width panels. I wouldn't fold it on those lines it will never fold properly.

That brochure is an example of a trifold that would look incorrect if folded because you would have paper color and or the solid color crossing the fold line, depending upon whether one is looking at the inside or outside.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Er, that brochure uses 3 equal width panels. I wouldn't fold it on those lines it will never fold properly.

That brochure is an example of a trifold that would look incorrect if folded because you would have paper color and or the solid color crossing the fold line, depending upon whether one is looking at the inside or outside.
    My experience is otherwise. We'll have to agree to differ on that one.
    Tony

Tony, the panel that is folded in HAS to be shorter than the other two panels on a tri-fold brochure. It will not fit. On a z-fold, the panels are the same width, but not on a tri-fold.

On a tri-fold, if you have a panel that has ink on the folded panel that runs past the fold line, it looks off because there will be about 1/16" of color across the fold. Simple as that. Now, that may look acceptable to some, but it isn't good design.

Yes, I have to agree the template shown should have been called a z-fold not a tri-fold. Therefore your comments do apply.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by gracehjs View Post
    That is what I was doing in the past. Now, I have DTP in XDP9, so I just tell the programme 3 columns and it sorts it out itself. I wondered if there was some kind of option to show the fold lines.
    As Mwenz has pointed out to me, the folds are in a different place depending on whether you intend a z-fold or a tri-fold. (In the latter case one column is slightly narrower than the others). The program would need to ask you your intentions if it were to display the folds correctly automatically.
    Tony