Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brochures

Default Brochures

I have been working on making a 3 column brochure and it looks pretty good. I have a couple of questions. How can you indicate where the fold line is? And when I look at the page gallery it shows a square around part of the page as though the rest is off the page. What is this? But it does print OK.
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

Default Re: Brochures

Hi,
    The square around your page may be the 'Printers Margins' anything outside the margins don't print.
    Jim
    In the View menu there is an option to show print margins see if that is selected
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

No, everything prints OK, that is what puzzled me.
    Grace
    Xara Software XDP11

Quote Originally Posted by gracehjs View Post
    And when I look at the page gallery it shows a square around part of the page as though the rest is off the page. What is this?
    Screenshot? I don't see this in my P&L gallery

Name:  pandlgallery.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  7.3 KBHere it is
    Grace
    Xara Software XDP11

Basically one simply communicates to the printer (could be yourself if self-printing) where the fold lines are. It is their responsiblity to do the fold--and you are responsible for where the design elements are located in relation to the folds and bleed area (if any).

The math is simple regardless of paper size. Assuming US Letter size...

First add 0.125" (1/8th) to the total length. Divide that total length by 3 and you will have the width of the two panels. Subtract 0.125" and you will have the width of the short panel (the first folded in panel).

So, 11 + 0.125 = 11.125". 11.125 / 3 = 3.708", which are the wide panels. 3.708 - 0.125 = 3.583" is the width of the first fold panel.

I add guidelines to the fold zones. Duplicate the page, reverse the guides and design accordingly.

If you are printing these, I would recommend taking them to a quick printer like FedExOffice in the US or similar wherever you are. They usually have folding machines and do it for a relatively cheap cost. Fact is, I would talk with them about printing them as well if not doing but a handful. Else I would look to one of the on-line printers for doing quantities. I often use Quantum in the US.

I whipped up a US Letter template and have attached it.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mwenz; 25 July 2013 at 01:15 AM.

That doesn't look right, Grace - I can't repeat it here.
    Have you been fiddling with the registry setting for the page thumbnail?

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\Xtreme\9.1\Options \ObjectGallery]
    "PageThumbWidth"=dword:0000006b

That is what I was doing in the past. Now, I have DTP in XDP9, so I just tell the programme 3 columns and it sorts it out itself. I wondered if there was some kind of option to show the fold lines.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Basically one simply communicates to the printer (could be yourself if self-printing) where the fold lines are. It is their responsiblity to do the fold--and you are responsible for where the design elements are located in relation to the folds and bleed area (if any).

The math is simple regardless of paper size. Assuming US Letter size...

First add 0.125" (1/8th) to the total length. Divide that total length by 3 and you will have the width of the two panels. Subtract 0.125" and you will have the width of the short panel (the first folded in panel).

So, 11 + 0.125 = 11.125". 11.125 / 3 = 3.708", which are the wide panels. 3.708 - 0.125 = 3.583" is the width of the first fold panel.

I add guidelines to the fold zones. Duplicate the page, reverse the guides and design accordingly.

If you are printing these, I would recommend taking them to a quick printer like FedExOffice in the US or similar wherever you are. They usually have folding machines and do it for a relatively cheap cost. Fact is, I would talk with them about printing them as well if not doing but a handful. Else I would look to one of the on-line printers for doing quantities. I often use Quantum in the US.

I whipped up a US Letter template and have attached it.

Mike
    Grace
    Xara Software XDP11

No, I haven't touched the registry. Is it because it is landscape?

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    That doesn't look right, Grace - I can't repeat it here.
    Have you been fiddling with the registry setting for the page thumbnail?

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\Xtreme\9.1\Options \ObjectGallery]
    "PageThumbWidth"=dword:0000006b
    Grace
    Xara Software XDP11

I tried to repeat it with all page types, Grace. Could not.
    Can you attach your file? Or a file that shows the same problem?