Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Youtube Background eraser demo video

I've created a video demonstration that shows how the background eraser works on a photo that has similar colours and tones in the areas you want to keep and the areas you need to remove.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Default Re: Background eraser demo video

Thank you so much for this informative and helpful tutorial. It must have taken you a while to put together, but it is so complete that it answered most, if not all the practical questions. I liked your explanations and they helped me get a fast and accurate idea of how to use this feature.
    TJB

Erasing a background with Xara!

Why the exclamation?
    The exclamation mark or exclamation point is a punctuation mark usually used after an interjection or exclamation to indicate strong feelings or high volume (shouting)
    And please, Xara is the name of the company, not the application. I think mods need to at least get this right, especially as this procedure can only be done with two of the four products in the Xara Designer family.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

The title of the video is meant to catch attention which apparently it did. I explain in the video and also in the Youtube description which programs this can be done in.

@spoondoolix: Thanks I'm glad you found the video helpful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Two questions occurred to me.
    What has happened to the background; is it behind a mask, a clip, or has it really gone for good?
    Is there any key shortcut to increase/decrease brush size; I'm thinking of along the lines of the square brackets in photoshop?

Forgot to say, Frances, the bit about pressure sensitivity had never occurred to me.
    Last edited by tonylondon; 18 July 2013 at 09:13 AM. Reason: added comment
    Tony

A very good example of how to use the tools Frances! (is that exclamation mark allowed? )

The background erase is a destructive operation, so if the original bitmap is not used anywhere else in the document, once you save and close the program it will not be stored in the document any longer.

There's not currently a key shortcut for this (from memory) but you can use the scroll wheel on your mouse when you're hovering over the nib size slider to increase/decrease the size of the nib.
    Last edited by PeteS; 18 July 2013 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    A very good example of how to use the tools Frances! (is that exclamation mark allowed? )

The background erase is a destructive operation, so if the original bitmap is not used anywhere else in the document, once you save and close the program it will not be stored in the document any longer.

There's not currently a key shortcut for this (from memory) but you can use the scroll wheel on your mouse when you're hovering over the nib size slider to incrase/decrease the size of the nib.
    Thanks Pete, that's clear and most useful.
    Tony

also if you hold the alt key and scroll the size changes without having to be on the slider
    Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by glenngosack View Post
    also if you hold the alt key and scroll the size changes without having to be on the slider
    That's brilliant!
    Tony

Very helpful, Frances. Thanks!