Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Exporting to SVG

When exporting to SVG is there a way to just have the graphic exported and not the whole page? Even when the graphic is selected when going into the Export option the saved file shows the whole page and not just the graphic.

Any help much appreciated.
    Pwalder

Default Re: Exporting to SVG

Peter - Can you update your profile to indicate which Xara product or products you are using?

Using Designer Pro X9 I exported several circles as SVG and opened the file in Illustrator CS-5.5 and there is no page, just the circles.

And I dragged the file back into DPX9 and it came in as it went out, simple circles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	svg.png 
Views:	111 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	97284  

Gary
    Thank you for the swift reply. When I posted the question I was at work using XARA Desinger Pro X8 but at home I have version 9. I tried to export at home tonight and get the same behaviour. i.e When using the Export option with the object to be saved as an SVG selected the outcome file contains the whole page (and any other graphics that are on the page). One clue which might help is that the saved file appears with the correct name but the icon representing the file is an Internet Explorer icon. So it looks as if somehow it thinks the SVG file is a web page. Not sure if this does help but it occurred at work and at home. I maybe doing some thing very basically wrong but any further advice would be very welcome.
    Thanks
    PWalder

@Gary, the svg file are exported with the page bounds even though Illustrator shows the object only.
    You can see this by viewing the SVG in your web browser, if you draw the object in the centre of the page, the web browser will load the graphic in the centre (the window may have scrollbars to prove it as well).

But, the much ignored Blank Photo document is perfect for svg artwork, exports are always the same size as the artwork.

@Peter: SVG is a web (XML - extensible markup language) format. Just drop an SVG file into notepad, you'll see

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
    <!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD/svg11.dtd">

Sledger
    Thank you for this. The Blank Photo document I must admit is something I've never used but just tried it and it worked perfectly. Thank you for your help in sorting this.

Just in case other folk are interested the reason I needed the SVG was to import into a programme called VideoScribe on the iPad which essential makes animations with a hand apparently drawing the graphic/text. The programme uses SVG and does come with a selection of pre made graphics but this workflow you have described now allows for original graphics to be used....thanks again.

That blank photo document for svg is interesting and never tried, I assume and the appearing of the exported .svg file depends on the browser?

For example that group which looks like this in XDPX9

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara_blank_photo.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	97336

in Opera looks like this so quite that, except the shadow maybe

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	opera_svg.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	97337

and in IE9 which I never use just came with the Windows, definitely worse, at all not showing the feathered object for example.

SVG_blank_photo.jpg.xar