Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Xara's EPS format import error

Well, I was playing around with Xara's own EPS format and went to load one into another XDP document and...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-000429.png 
Views:	142 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	97322

But no worries, Illustrator can open it for editing...

Name:	capture-000431.png 
Views:	144 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	97324

Default Re: Xara's EPS format import error

Name:	disappointment_alley.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	97325
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Mike - This goes back to the fact that Encapsulated PostScript files were intended to be placed in QuarkXPress and InDesign and other publication programs.

But we have been down this road before.

Try importing the EPS file using the Illustrator Import Filters. It worked with all but the CS-2 filter.

Gary, I don't think I have gone down this road before. Guess I don't know everything. Silly me. I would have thought XDP would have had the ability to read its own EPs format. Why else have it available in the import filter options if it cannot read it?

But sure, when I am back to the computer, I'll try importing an Xara EPS format file using an adobe EPs import filter. Very intuitive.

And yes, QXP, ID and PagePlus all read the file just fine. And as I mentioned, so does AI. It is only XDP that cannot read its own EPS format.

Doesn't work with complex graphics, though does with the simple outline as per above. The one I was trying to import was complex and had a bitmap in it. Don't know if XDP bombed out from the complexity, the bitmap or both. AI still does, though. As does DrawPlus.

Guess I won't use that format.

Mike

Mike - The test of the EPS file format is if you can print from the EPS file in the aforementioned programs. Because that is what the file format was intended for. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encapsulated_PostScript

If you want to export then import a complex image, try the SVG file format. The attached test file was exported as SVG and imported back as exported.
    Attached Files Attached Files

As long as you want to remain being pedantic--I know how to get graphics out of and back into XDP--then please explain why the Xara EPS filter exists as an import filter option if it doesn't work?

As I mentioned, I was looking for a means of solving an issue in an unrelated XDP failing. A work-around to an inability of XDP to something that should have been in Xara products for eons. I simply stumbled upon this Xara EPS import filter issue.

If you are asking why there is a Xara .eps import filter, then who knows. Agreed it does not make a lot of sense as the file cannot be edited.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    ...Agreed it does not make a lot of sense as the file cannot be edited.
    The only correction I would make is that it seems Xara products are the only applications that cannot edit its own format.

Because of my curiosity in "discovering" this issues, it would be nice (for me) to hear from Xara about this without having to file a bug report. It's not like one of the trrop hasn't read this thread.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    If you are asking why there is a Xara .eps import filter, then who knows. Agreed it does not make a lot of sense as the file cannot be edited.
    i asked this question a long time ago
    but i never did get an answer
    i agree that it seems very illogical
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.