Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Customizing your Xara workspace

I've been experimenting with a different custom layout. I split my most used tools into two floating palettes configured in double rows, one for drawing tools and one for photo tools. I turned of the tool bar and parked my two custom palettes on the left in its place. I've done away with the flyouts and I always use the mouse to zoom and pan so I didn't need those tools. Web design tools I keep up top along with a few custom buttons for things like toggling the rulers and the handy wrench for bringing up the options palette. Now I just have to try and remember where I put everything

Anyway to get to the point I got to wondering if anyone else has been reconfiguring their custom set ups to include some of the new tools? Do you customize your workspace? which buttons from the button palette do find most useful? As I already mentioned I always add the wrench for one click access to the options. I also add the convert to editable shapes button. Here is a screenshot of my new set up. (In case anyone wonders my galleries aren't missing I have a second monitor and I keep the galleries stashed on there.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	customui.png 
Views:	313 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	97250  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Default Re: Customizing your Xara workspace

Wow, you must be really bored today

To get over my frustration of flyouts, I have also experimented with having a second bar on the left side.
    My split was vertical, whereas yours is horizontal - which I hadn't thought of.
    I'm not totally sure at the moment so I haven't left it set, yet.

But, you make and raise a good point, Frances

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

that's far too few icons for my liking
    i have every single icon i can possibly squeeze onto the screen
    in fact i'm rather peeved i can't have the button palette permanently on display
    there must be a registry key for that
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Thanks Rik, I thought it would interesting to find out how others have set up custom tool bars to limit the flyouts and incorporate the new tools. We now have new buttons for the masking and region tools and the healing brush.

@ Frank: you must have a huge screen. I toyed with the idea of stashing the tool palettes on the other screen and just pulling them over when I need them but that seems like a bit of a nuisance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    in fact i'm rather peeved i can't have the button palette permanently on display
    there must be a registry key for that
    You could create your own button palette ("My Button Palette" ) and copy all buttons from the button palette onto that one.

xdp6 Re: Customizing your Xara workspace

First thing I did when installing the trial version of X9 (was about five days away from payday, have since upgraded fully) was to hit Ctrl-Shift-Alt-S to get my non-eyebleed color scheme back. Then I shut down and ran the registry hack to get rid of the flyout for the extra stuff for the text tool.
    Then I moved all of the icons that were in flyouts out of them, and got rid of the flyout icons. Locked the Line and Page/Layer Galleries in place. Ran XaReg to change the blob size (5 seems about right for me). Then I edited the bmp for the splash screen.

-- Ben

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XaraWorkspace.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	97261Click image for larger version. 

Name:	splashscreen.png 
Views:	168 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	97262
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

An interesting thread, angelize. I guess everyone will be different.
    All I have done is remove the text bar flyout, replace the drawing tools flyout by individual buttons and move the tool bar buttons to put the ones I use most near the top. I've left those I rarely use at the bottom on flyouts as I find it better to have them tidied away like that than having a mass of individual buttons to choose from.

Incidentally, although I've purchased X9 I find I can't download the clip art etc. (most folders are red, as illustrated). Is that to be expected?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	workspace.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	97263  
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by tonylondon View Post

Incidentally, although I've purchased X9 I find I can't download the clip art etc. (most folders are red, as illustrated). Is that to be expected?
    I assume you entered your serial number and activated your license. Did you also do the following: Help/Download content installer & Pan Studio?

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    I assume you entered your serial number and activated your license. Did you also do the following: Help/Download content installer & Pan Studio?
    Yes, that is correct. I activated the license and did Help/Download Content Installer, but decided not to install Pan Studio. From what you are saying I assume I should be able access the content and not have to wait for a disk.

I decided, on reflection to register the software again and was told I was already registered! However I then did an update and this cured the problem. So, thanks for your help.
    Tony