Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default I don't think the question is silly

Hi everybody,

I'm taking things really easy to learn WD9, but I have a question that is continually wondering around in my mind.

I have a habit of keeping support files in different directories, and just using directory paths from within a document. I've attached an image that will do better than my verbal description.

Is there a way to configure WD9 to do the same? JavaScript will go in a marked file in a JavaScript directory, CSS in a marked file in a CSS file and so on?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SiteFileList.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	97243

I also notice a fair bit of script on the single page layout that I'm been fooling with for the week I've had this software. So far, with just three or four objects on that page, there seems to be scripts that I might want to move to one of those directories... if WD9 can be configured that way.

Is any of this possible?

Thanks,
    Paul

Default Re: I don't think the question is silly

Hi Paul,
    WD9 is a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) design tool. Its intended to help create websites visually without the need to edit the code. Simply draw the site how you want it and export/upload it.
    There's no way to control the folders/paths in Xara Web Designer as you would do with a regular webdesign/coding application.

Thanks MEB,
    I was hoping top hear differently but that's that.

Paul

Paul - The whole thrust behind Web Designer and Xara's web design capabilities was to let the designer design the page as he or she sees fit and for Xara to make it work, code wise in the background. Most of us like it this way. But it is not a good fit for folks who like to play around with the HTML code.

You can add code to the HTML document using placeholder objects (simple rectangles usually into which code is pasted and which in turn adds the code into the HTML document.

But if you hand tweak the code, you will have to do this every time you publish.

what happens when you export your xar or web file to html is that xara will create and export the files to the index_htm_files folder if your index page is called index.htm
    if your default home page is called index.html then it will export them to a index_html_files folder
    any other custom files not created by xara that you put into the index_whatever folder will be ignored and deleted the next time you publish

but...

if your xara design file is called mywebsite.xar (or mywebsite.web) then create a directory called mywebsite_xar_files (ormywebsite_web_files) in the same path as your xara file mywebsite.xar (or mywebsite.web)
    put your custom files in this external directory and they will automatically copied over when you next export your website, retaining the right link structure

so, no, you can't have your own directory structure but, yes, you can automate the export of your own js or php or whatever other files without xara's export function tampering with them
    you can edit them at any time but remember that they won't take effect on your exported website until you once again export the site

you won't find this information in the help file because it's an undocumented and unsupported feature that nevertheless works

hope it helps
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

OK, Frank. But what is gained by all this?

increases my post count? Name:  35.gif
Views: 158
Size:  2.5 KB
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Thanks Gary,

Again, not what I wanted to hear. MUCH less irritating than chasing this ghost around only to find I overwrite my self. I am definitely a tweaker though.

I remember your name from back in the XARA. You donated a lot of time and effort to those tutorials, and I am still amazed at the stereograms that you presented.

Thanks again,

Paul

And Big Frank, I`ll give that idear a good shake in the near future. Thank You