Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Hosting with MAGIX Online

I'm considering taking advantage of their hosting offer. Would anyone have any feedback about ease of use, reliability or any other issues?

Thanks!
    Mike Emerson The Graphics Factory, Freelance Graphic Artist

Default Re: Hosting with MAGIX Online

I think it's a legitimate deal. Plus if you've purchased Web Designer 9 Premium or Designer Pro X9, you get 2GB of storage space, a free domain name, and 5, count them, 5 mail boxes.

In addition to Garys' post - that is free for the first 12 months, then $2.99 I think per month after. Or the free hosting package is free, full stop - but you don't get mailboxes, domains and only 500MB storage.

Also, publishing to MOW is even simpler in version 9. Use the Share menu and select Log into MOW and log in with your registered email address and password, then go to File > Publish Website and it's all there for you.

That sounds very good

On the sign-up page for the hosting package (http://www.magix-online.com/uk/webho...cher.4820.html) some important limitations are mentioned that might make you look for another service provider:

"MAGIX web hosting only supports the delivery of static content. Data which must be interpreted in order to be correctly displayed (such as .php, .asp etc) or has to be edited by programmers at the server end, is not supported (except for JavaScript). In these cases data will be displayed or prepared via HTTP 'as is'. In addition, no databases are supported (MySQL, Access etc)."

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    On the sign-up page for the hosting package (http://www.magix-online.com/uk/webho...cher.4820.html) some important limitations are mentioned that might make you look for another service provider:

"MAGIX web hosting only supports the delivery of static content. Data which must be interpreted in order to be correctly displayed (such as .php, .asp etc) or has to be edited by programmers at the server end, is not supported (except for JavaScript). In these cases data will be displayed or prepared via HTTP 'as is'. In addition, no databases are supported (MySQL, Access etc)."
    I'm an ignorant graphics guy...not sure what this all means. I want to be able to create a business site, and sell a product from it. Also, I need to be able to upload files for my customers to download, and for them to upload and me download. Suggestions?
    Mike Emerson The Graphics Factory, Freelance Graphic Artist

As I understand it the hosting does not support server-side scripting/languages such as PHP or any kind of database.

Essentially you design pages with static content and cannot have dynamic elements using server-side code to change the content.

Stuff like javascript, or links to other web domains are OK.

You won't be able to host a wordpress site on Magix hosting, or a database, or a dynamic shopping cart. That kind of thing.

It's as basic a web host as it's possible to get.

You won't be able to use any upload/download scripts.

That's how I understand it.

There are better options out there for little money, though the Magix hosting will be fine for many Xara users.