Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs down OpenType Support

The year is 2013 and Xara Pro still doesn't support OpenType features properly (ligatures anyone?) ... even more than that it font handling is worse than Windows 7!!! As in, if you have a font family, for example La Groupil's, beautiful, Paris:

Paris Family

... and it will not pick up the different weights - it thinks of them all as the first one it sees. I assume because there's no proper OpenType Support. So I can't use the Extra Black version I've paid for!!

So what do Xara do ... they add Google Font support without fixing the actually font engine itself.

What is going on?? Sort out the basics first before throwing on bells and whistles.

Upgrade .. you have to be kidding.

----

Just to balance out my griping about the fonts let me say this ... I love the different transparency options on Xara ... the 'Stained Glass' and 'Bleach' are incredibly useful.

Default Re: OpenType Support

Some multi weight font support was added in version 9. Is it just that font that you do not see the difference with, or what about a Google Font etc?

Will wonders ever cease ... so they've sorted out that bug. So now I have to pay for the bug fix do I? I have to fork over money just to get something that's fixed?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	problem.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	97148

Quote Originally Posted by humblenations View Post
    I love the different transparency options on Xara ... the 'Stained Glass' and 'Bleach' are incredibly useful.
    lol, they've been part of xara's drawing tools since err well bery bery long ago
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

I know ... because I've been using Xara since year dot ... like when the cover of the box was an MG B style red car and it was called Xara Studio. Yes that far back. And this has been the first important BUG FIX in a long time. I mean a design piece of software that actually recognises fonts now. Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by humblenations View Post
    Will wonders ever cease ... so they've sorted out that bug
    It wasn't a bug in the first place ffs! Not working with multi weight families as it perhaps should, but that's a limitation not a bug. So you're not paying for a bug fix but a feature improvement.

JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

hang on - i seem to remember a mini, but not an mgb
    did I miss a version?
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Quote Originally Posted by zaphodeist View Post
    Not working with multi weight families as it perhaps should, but that's a limitation not a bug. So you're not paying for a bug fix but a feature improvement.
    now that this is supposed to be a page layout program i'd say that has elevated it to a serious missing feature
    but it's obviously not a bug
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Missing feature. Are you joking? You're talking rubbish.

So you're using any other design piece of software. Even if you're using a word processing application. Or Point Point type programme. Anything that uses fonts in Windows! And you go away and buy a font. Yes the font installs into windows perfectly. Yes it works. You can see that font. You can use that font on whatever you want. But then you use your chosen design programme and it doesn't see that font. It works in everything else but Xara. That means that Xara is without the 'feature' that every single other Windows programme has. Because it's part of the Windows Kernel. And you don't call that a BUG?!

Believe you me ... when you've bought as many fonts as me over the years (10-12 years designing on Xara) and some of them just don't work and there's no way of testing them until you buy them and then you can't use them. Let's call it wasted money running into hundreds of pounds. It all adds up.

And let's call what it is ... a bug.

If you want a list of all the fonts that I have that don't work (that I have bought and wasted money on) then I can furnish you with that. Also screen shots of the fonts working in every other piece of software.

Humblenations, whether you want to refer to it wrongly as a bug, or a feature enhancement/improvement, which it actually is - you can now use your multi-weighted fonts in v9.