Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Default Re: Custom Splash Screens

I did a long and rather eloquent reply to your questions and when I pressed Submit I got a new "your token has expired" window, so losing it all, about an hour's work. I have neither the will nor the energy left to re-write it. Suffice to say that I despise liars and your definition of a liar does not concord with mine, but that's not to say your definition is wrong. We will just have to leave it there and agree to disagree which is just as well since this thread should be about custom Splash Screens to replace the vanilla one in our Xara program created, it has been rumoured, using Abode GIMPscape®©™.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.
    IP

In a minor defense of The Xara Group, no they do not use Web Designer to build Xara.com, for the same reason we do not use Xara software to build the Xara Xone site. It's not apparent to me what software Xara uses, but I can tell you that we use WordPress with a custom template Barbara designed to make the site feasible and extensible for future needs. How can you possibly plan for the future without a content managment node in place...we've already generated over a thousand pages in the past 3 years—can Web Designer move, index, and edit this volume of data?

We use a Content Management System, CSS/JavaScript, and it's simply not possible to deliver the organization and quality of the site using a program intended for small, beautiful websites.

I don't believe in three-legged races when the best solution to a graphics problem is right on your hard drive, but one feels some sense of loyalty to a program to the extent that you're doing something the hard way. And I'll get back to splash screen in a moment, Frank.

• I use Xara Designer for short DTP needs, flyers and posters. Also for exporting AI files to modeling programs, and not least, for drawing fine art (and commercial art). And truthfully, Xara v 10 is open on my Desktop from morning to end, because it's a hub for all the other content I generate, to finish a piece. I'm used to assembling works in Xara, for about 20 years.

• I use InDesign for long documents, that need formatting options as rich as MS Word.

• I use MS-Word for word processing and don't even try to make it a dtp program because it's not.

• I use Adobe Photoshop because...c'mon; what else is there for retouching-intensive photos at a pixel level? Plus, I've used it for more than 20 years, so like Xara—why change what works?

• I use modo and Cinema 4D and occasionally Maxwell Render for modeling and rendering work. I'm trying to understand modo better, but it's currently good for importing my C4D models and animating some of them. It's rendering engine runs neck to neck with Maxwell render. When I want something that is virtually realistic, I use Maxwell render. C4D fits my need for modeling and sculpting and animation, because I think it's one of the three programs out there that has every feature anyone could ask for in animation options.

It's taken me almost a decade to afford to buy this stuff, and more than a year discovering the best of the best.

Because I've been burned by Adobe, Aldus, Caligari, and Western Digital, I see no sense in product loyalty. They provided good software for a time, and then the companies changed. It's naive to continue to fight for a product that doesn't even fight for itself,no less its customers.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Big Frank—yes, I admit I was being defensive earlier inthis thread. But I was being defensive about my talent, and not about customer loyalty and drawing my idea in Xara, even though it was intended as a graphic for a Xara product.

I've written almost 30 books on various software, and my dirty little secret is that I've used Xara for every stinking EPS file Macintosh production houses need.

Not one has failed, not one was recognized as a Windoz export, and I'm pretty happy with this feature, as is the publisher and the reader.

My Best,

Gary
    IP

Gare thanks for this summary about your favourite programs and describing your approach towards softwares in general. I find it as very valuable experience and really appreciate it
    IP

Hey csehz, and glad to be candid on this forum, and thanks to TPTB to leave it uncensored. Did you know that about 10 years ago, Corel Corporation deleted negative comments on their forum? Happy to say they "get" the net now!

"favourite programs"...humm. "Most easy to produce quality stuff, and stuff that looks like it does in my imagination"...I would say that, only because "favourite" suggest "favoritism, and carry no truck with companies that suddenly produce sub-par goods. Adobe Creative Suite v5 was such a buggy P.O.S. that they immediately issued version 5.5 without so much as truth or an apology, although they upgraded registered users for free.

I want to, but cannot, separate the company from the product. I have to assume that if a company is untrustworthy, their software reflects this. There's no "Official Apologist" as far as I can see, no Damage Control Expert at The Xara Group, I know they listen, and I've stuck with the product since 1995 because the management has not only been gracious to me, but also responsive to problems, and Xara DP kicks serious butt.

My Best,

Gary
    Last edited by Gare; 04 September 2014 at 03:16 PM. Reason: grammar as though I learnt English as a second language.
    IP

TPTB to leave it uncensored
    Unless it mentions the Xara Users forum Gary
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Unless it mentions the Xara Users forum...
    I refer to the XU when I believe it is pertinent, Egg. I haven't seen one instance removed of when I referenced XU. Which would be the only time I would notice. So I am not saying edits haven't been made. I just haven't noticed.
    IP

Not my experience Mike, Iv'e seen at least two of my posts with links to XU removed.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

Erm, this thread is about splash screens, and I know I went O/T with my list of favorite programs and why, but that's no excuse for everyone behaving like me, okay?

Thanks!

Gary
    IP

Merely responding to your comment re censorship, which you made in this thread. I've no connection with Xara Users, it's just another Xara Forum I frequent but have noticed that links & comments to XU are often removed. I also realise that you are a frequent user of XU so I'm not personally knocking you either.
    Egg

IP

Can we please move on?

This friction can be endless, and I think it turns off lurkers from becoming members.

TIA,

Gary
    IP