Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Default Re: x9 - no new drawing tools

Well, well, well. A rather anti-climatic announcement. "Newness" that ain't new, "features" that rate a yawn, not a Yeah!

Someone should catch a clue at Xara. First a sub-set of features released as a new application (at least it had a proper announcement) and now an update to a good vector application that doesn't build upon, enhance, nor introduce new vector drawing capabilities.

What exactly is Xara Designer Pro?

I bought Designer 9 when it came out, I am very happy with the new tools. The healing brush is a-m-a-z-i-n-g and works a treat.
    Why the complaints?
    Does it diminish one's status having to be on a par with the less expensive Designer 9?

Very silly (shaking my head in disbelief)..
    :-)
    Grenou

Very silly (shaking my head in disbelief).
    I'm with you on this one, Grenou.

Quote Originally Posted by Grenou View Post
    I bought Designer 9 when it came out, I am very happy with the new tools. The healing brush is a-m-a-z-i-n-g and works a treat.
    Why the complaints?
    Does it diminish one's status having to be on a par with the less expensive Designer 9?
    no, it's a feeling of having been forgotten
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Quote Originally Posted by Grenou View Post
    Why the complaints?
    For one, how many requests in Dear Xara are for actual enhanced or new drawing capabilities versus what we now know is XDPX9?

It isn't silly being disappointed in nothing new, improved or enhanced as regards vector drawing capabilities. If there had been one, count it one, improvement (for instance the pen tool) it would have mitigated the issues. If there had been one new capability (say vector brushes), there would have been hand-clapping instead. If there had been one enhancement (say all the properties of an object being in one place where those properties can be changed) it would have been good.

Add to those "for instance" examples above just some of the dozens upon dozens of other improvements, enhancements or new capabilities that have been in threads for a dozen or more years, and there would have been exclamations of praise.

Get it now?

Mike

RE the healing brush. This has been a core function of bitmap editors for decades. For me, in a vector editing/creation application, it rates "who cares."

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    RE the healing brush. This has been a core function of bitmap editors for decades. For me, in a vector editing/creation application, it rates "who cares."
    its not even new, it's just an extension of the magic erase

if anybody says stop whining
    i'm entitled to
    i paid for it
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

The simple truth is, most of what I do, could be done very well with Xara way back when it was CorelXara. But as someone who works in this program, all of the time in a professional capacity, I appreciate and will soon grow totally dependent on many of the new features and improvements. This is what is important to me. If there were a drawing tool that would let me draw like someone who knew how to draw, that would be terrific. But there isn't.

Download the trial version(s), work with it for a week or so, then see if you can live without them. If you can great. If not, buy the product or upgrade.

Thus far, I'm liking the overall feel and responsiveness of the 64 bit version. (running 12gig/ram). I guess it's what your looking for and where your concentrated areas of use are found. I like the web publishing and see improved output compared to posting a web friendly pdf. I'm still playing around with the masking stuff. I've gotten proficient enough with the drawing tools that it's almost easier to make your mask using them than fooling around with erasing. We'll see how it goes as I get a little deeper.

Gentlemen - I might say that someone who uses Xara 5 - this of course is a substantial upgrade for around $140. I realize I'm a new user but here's what I think. Adobe just went with the CC "Creative Cloud" - love it or hate it - many are going to pay per month just to own the software. It's a tough nut to swallow if your a sound professional like myself. But the Adobe CC is across the board - and many graphics people don't like it one bit. It's an opportune time to re-package and re brand a bit; and catch some of the Photoshop Illustrator and Indesign defectors; I'm looking forward to the Xara Page publication software. So I can understand that now is a good time to give a shout out to the Graphics community; and the way to do that - provide an update - even if it is without some of the bells and whistles many were expecting. By the way - thanks Xara - for letting me know on Twitter. I follow you.
    Last edited by bwood; 09 July 2013 at 05:31 PM. Reason: addition
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    The simple truth is, most of what I do, could be done very well with Xara way back when it was CorelXara. But as someone who works in this program, all of the time in a professional capacity, I appreciate and will soon grow totally dependent on many of the new features and improvements. This is what is important to me. If there were a drawing tool that would let me draw like someone who knew how to draw, that would be terrific. But there isn't.

Download the trial version(s), work with it for a week or so, then see if you can live without them. If you can great. If not, buy the product or upgrade.
    As I mentioned in another thread, I'll still upgrade. Xara deserves rewarded for their efforts by me. I too would like a little love by Xara in areas mentioned here and in the oh so many Dear Xara request threads.

Mike