Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default XDP-X9 (x64) - XPE as bitmap editor problems

Hi All,

So far I like XP9, however, I have encountered a bug with the 64 bit version, and external image editing.
    (FYI the 32 bit version works as expected here, and does not share this issue)

The problem is, if I set photo editor in options to use XPE, when I try to access the bitmap editor, I get an immediate error message, and nothing else happens.
    If I use the explicit path option to XPE, it now goes successfully to XPE, and I can make my edits.
    However, it does not return to Designer automatically as it should (does as expected in x32 designer).

If I set the explicit path to another program I use (Photoline), it works fully as expected.
    The reason I am interested in using XPE as the editor, is to allow using my old Xara alien skin filters from the 64 bit edition, via XPE.
    The filters do work fine in XPE, so if I can just get XPE to return the image, I will be able to use x64 happily with little interruption to my workflow.

Any guidance as to how to fix, or an official fix in a patch would be greatly appreciated.
    Of course this is not a show stopper, and I can easily work around it in the meantime.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    David

Default Re: XDP-X9 (x64) - XPE as bitmap editor problems

Quote Originally Posted by aonyn View Post
    Hi All,

So far I like XP9, however, I have encountered a bug with the 64 bit version, and external image editing.
    (FYI the 32 bit version works as expected here, and does not share this issue)

The problem is, if I set photo editor in options to use XPE, when I try to access the bitmap editor, I get an immediate error message, and nothing else happens.
    If I use the explicit path option to XPE, it now goes successfully to XPE, and I can make my edits.
    However, it does not return to Designer automatically as it should (does as expected in x32 designer).

If I set the explicit path to another program I use (Photoline), it works fully as expected.
    The reason I am interested in using XPE as the editor, is to allow using my old Xara alien skin filters from the 64 bit edition, via XPE.
    The filters do work fine in XPE, so if I can just get XPE to return the image, I will be able to use x64 happily with little interruption to my workflow.

Any guidance as to how to fix, or an official fix in a patch would be greatly appreciated.
    Of course this is not a show stopper, and I can easily work around it in the meantime.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    David
    Just a thought. If XPE cannot be made to work, try setting the path to the 32-bit version of PhotoLine (both 32-bit and 64-bit versions install on a Windows computer). See if that returns the image to the 64-bit Xara. Make sure to set the 32-bit PhotoLine to see your 8bf filters.

I don't have the new Xara yet else I would try it before mentioning this as a possibility. I have used PL for my bitmap work for years, though.

Mike

I've got mine set up with PSP. Works well. After you apply filters, save in PSP and it will apply changes in XDP9
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Hi mwenz and zaphodeist,

Thank you for your replies.
    Photoline 32 does indeed work as expected, and it is how I have it set up for now.

The only thing I don't have is the old Xara Alien Skin Filters, which only work in Xara products (I purchased way back with Xara Xtreme 4 or 5).
    Not really a big deal, on the occasion when I want to use those specific filters, I will just have to go 32bit XDP, or manually import back in after editing in XPE.

So it is not a show stopper for me, but perhaps a bug worth fixing (as currently, if using x64, the bitmap editor function forces the user to go to a 3rd party competitor product, or see a nasty error message)

Regards,
    David

It's not a bug. The filters are 32 bit
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Quote Originally Posted by aonyn View Post
    ...a bug worth fixing (as currently, if using x64, the bitmap editor function forces the user to go to a 3rd party competitor product, or see a nasty error message).
    It's a technical limitation rather than a programming error (aka: bug).
    Adobe Photoshop 64bit also cannot use 32bit Adobe plugin filters either, it is for this reason that Adobe install the 32bit version of PhotoShop alongside your 64bit version.

Hi sledger and zaphodeist,

I do understand that the 32 bit filters do not work in 64 bit Xara.
    That is not exactly the issue.

The issue is when you select an image in Xara 64 bit, and go to 'Utilities/Bitmap Editor'
    This sends the image to an external program to be edited, and I have the filters installed there, where they work correctly.

The problem is, if you send the image to "Xara Picture Editor" it is not returned back to Xara correctly when editing is complete.
    In addition, if you go to 'Utilities/Options', then to the 'Photo Editing' tab, and select the option 'Use XPE' (Xara Picture Editor), when you use the 'Bitmap Editor' function, you get an error.
    If you instead set 'Edit Bitmaps with this Program' to the Xara Picture Editor explicitly, the 'Bitmap Editor' function sends the image to Xara Picture Editor, but it does not retrieve the picture when done editing.

On the other hand, if you set 'Edit Bitmaps with this Program' to any third party editor, then it works as expected.

The reason the filters were part of this topic is, I have my old Xara Alien Skin Filters installed in the Xara Picture Editor, where they work as expected.
    The part that is broken is the link between Designer Pro and Picture Editor.

I hope I have explained myself a little better, and my apologies for the misunderstanding.

Thanks for the feedback,

Regards,
    David

Hi David,
    Yes I can confirm your findings regarding the XPE behaviour with the 64bit versions.
    I'm surprised that XPE is still finding users, I believe Xara intended to drop XPE a number of versions ago but left it in place for plugin support.
    That the 64bit has no 32bit plugin support might be why the link is broken in the new 64bit Designer version.
    Of course it would make sense if Xara could make this clear and if is the case should really remove the option select XPE as the bitmap editor from the program Options setting..
    Personally, I have an old version of PSP (JASC version 6. Must run as admin first time in W7 or Win8)) and have set up as the bitmap editor and loads lightning fast on modern computers, in fact loads much faster than XPE does from the 32bit version of Designer Pro.
    PSP 6 loads all my plugins and returns the images to Designer Pro X when done. Yes it's an extra step I have to make, but the advantages of the 64bit version of Designer Pro X9 outweighs this completely, I don't even find it inconvenient in the slightest.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Hi David,
    Yes I can confirm your findings regarding the XPE behaviour with the 64bit versions.
    I'm surprised that XPE is still finding users, I believe Xara intended to drop XPE a number of versions ago but left it in place for plugin support.
    That the 64bit has no 32bit plugin support might be why the link is broken in the new 64bit Designer version.
    Of course it would make sense if Xara could make this clear and if is the case should really remove the option select XPE as the bitmap editor from the program Options setting..
    Personally, I have an old version of PSP (JASC version 6. Must run as admin first time in W7 or Win8)) and have set up as the bitmap editor and loads lightning fast on modern computers, in fact loads much faster than XPE does from the 32bit version of Designer Pro.
    PSP 6 loads all my plugins and returns the images to Designer Pro X when done. Yes it's an extra step I have to make, but the advantages of the 64bit version of Designer Pro X9 outweighs this completely, I don't even find it inconvenient in the slightest.
    Ah, that was a good version of PSP. JASC was a great company with its then cutting-edge application PSP. Animation Shop was also a good "then" application.

My first version was 1.02a...still have it somewhere on 5.25" floppy disk. And I have skads of tubes on 3.5" floppies.

Mike

Mike

Hi Sledger,

Thanks for the confirmation.
    Your explanation does make sense about the probable reason.

I may have to break down and buy the newer and non-Xara Alien Skin filters, install those in Photoline, and let the old Xara versions of those filters finally rest in peace.
    I can't complain, I have had years of use from them. I tried to install them in Photoline, but when you click on one to apply it, it kindly reminds you that they were compiled for Xara products only.
    I will need to check and see if they will honor an upgrade price from Xara to their standard line.

Regards,
    Dave