Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Registry secrets

For those who aren't afraid to wander in the dark the Registry hides and somtimes reveals wonderfull treasures. But be aware; editing the values is not gor the faint-hearted.

But look what I've found. Burried in the [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\XtremePro\9.2\Opti ons\Freehand] there's a key "EnableShapeRecognition". Changing its value from 0 to 1 and (re)starting the program gives it the ability to produce shapes like circles and squares from scribbles that are almost circles or squarelike sketches.

This key was not in the 8.1 release.

Oh, and the ImportSize under filters is still limited to 1920. Without any problem that can be raised to 8000

I wonder which secrets others will reveal but please bear in mind what you're doing and don't try this at home!

Default Re: Registry secrets

What a joy! Even triangles are recognized and what's even better is that the shapes are "shapes" editable directly without being converted

This is a feature that we don't consider complete, so don't expect it to work as expected all the time or support to be available for it!

Point taken. But it works without any problems with a wacom pen and is a joy to have. There's no mentioning in the helpfile so we won't complain if it's functioning. But you guys are on the right track! Thanks anyhow and it's good to know you are following these discussions. For anyone who's complaining that Xara isn't listening you just proofed that you are though you're not mingling in the discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    For anyone who's complaining that Xara isn't listening you just proofed that you are though you're not mingling in the discussions.
    And this new feature is part of the drawing tool set, which has not got much attention in this new version! Promising find, Michael. Let us know if you find any more 'Easter eggs'.

Shape recognition of this type has existed in Flash since the very first version - 1996.

I have never found a need for it, nor heard anyone extolling how useful it is.

It's just a pointless gimmick, isn't it?

I'm surprised to hear that Xara has wasted time on this.

my god paul, have you forgotten your pills or something this week?

ps: i just took mine so i'm on positive high, just above wheres the razor blade i cant find the rope or the gas on off switch
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

No. Do you think I need some?

The flash shape recognition is a pure gimmick - I've never, ever seen someone using it outside of an instructor explaining how the drawing tools work. Essentially it allows you to draw shapes using a freehand pen, rather than a precise tool.

It looks good, impresses people, but does it genuinely add value to the toolset?

If anyone thinks it does, I'd love to know why it's useful for them.

Xara could have spent some of that development time trying to recognise shapes, on something more useful - perhaps something as trivial as flexible page numbering.

BF do you think shape recognition is useful to you?

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    BF do you think shape recognition is useful to you?
    without a shadow of a doubt i will never ever for as long as i live use it or not even thereafter
    but that wasn't my point
    i'm not sure now what it was
    i'm on a melted cheese plane i think
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    that wasn't my point
    i'm not sure now what it was
    i'm on a melted cheese plane i think
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.