Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

posted August 16, 2003 06:22
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I was asked to describe the axes of rotation in modeling, using the right-hand coordinate system, as is common with most 3D apps. As you can see, the direction of rotation is in the way the fingers curl into the palm.

I did this with E3D (I'm still trying to learn Maya!), and rendered in RenderMan. The "overlay" was done in XARA.

My Best,
    Gare
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ROTATE.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	10213  
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.

posted August 16, 2003 06:22
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I was asked to describe the axes of rotation in modeling, using the right-hand coordinate system, as is common with most 3D apps. As you can see, the direction of rotation is in the way the fingers curl into the palm.

I did this with E3D (I'm still trying to learn Maya!), and rendered in RenderMan. The "overlay" was done in XARA.

My Best,
    Gare
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

This is not great art by a country mile, and I'm certainly going to take James' suggestion of practicing with box modeling, but I thought I'd post the sum total of what I've learned in Maya so far...which is not much!

I've learned how to texture, draw a path and rotate it, and use FFD (freeform deformation) blocks.

My Best,
    Gare
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	art.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	16247  
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

I really like the axis rotation grafx here Gary, for several obvious reasons a) because the renders you pull off are crisp and colorfull, and b)because axis and poly pushing really do go hand in hand eh [thumbs up] pardon the puns

Re- boxmodeling... go for it Gare, once you gain the knack, there is really no turning back eh It's like digital sculpting... so very cool and relaxing, least ways that has been my take on it thus far, I too am still very much a rookie at it... but yea, we are getting there... practice makes... now if only I had your sense of color balance

Happy creatn'n

Gidge...

BTW, Danny Huff is being my mentor on learning Wings...he's been emailing me tutorial links for a while and believes in the power of Wings as you do. I did my first soccerball thanks to him.

Also BTW, I prefer NURBs modeling over polygons. I have an older copy of 3DS and got confused because to me, spline modeling is natural. Too many years of CorelDRAW and XARA, I guess (

My Best,
    Gare
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

Hey hey, go Danny go

Gary, I am happy to hear that you are learning the box method of modeling... it's a different beast at first, but once you get the hang of the tools in a auto like manner then it's only a bit of practice to better understand just when to keep things boxy and when enough detail is done and it's time to divide to create more poly's...

Important to note here that the single most common mistake done by new boxmodelers is dividing the mesh too soon thus having more poly's to push around than one truly required eh...

also a tip for generating maximum selection options is to assign color to areas from the git go (lighter shades are better to see and model with ) thus allowing one to select by color, along with loops and rings eh... also make use of your +/- signs when selecting... . the + sign selects one more row at a time each hit eh, with the - sign doing opposite... bla bla

Splines are ok for basic shapes and the like but hey, they can quickly become far more complex than one cares to think about when doing more advanced shaping eh... enter boxmodeling...

Oh you are going to have some fun Gare... beyond learning the basic ins and outs of how the tools work and what a good mesh should end up like the rest is all imagination eh... and I must admit that you have a very active imagination

Have fun [thumbs up]

[This message was edited by gidgit on August 17, 2003 at 12:27.]

Wings3d, Gare, Wings3D....

Seriously, from what I've been reading lately, more and more PROS are doing lots of modeling in Wings, then importing into Maya, Max, etc, to tweak and render. Ya gotta LOVE that workflow once you're used to it, ESPECIALLY after you've programmed a few extra keyboard shortcuts!

By the way, my college Max instructor was over today, and we BOTH tried to replicate that soccerball in Max, spent about an hour on it, and couldn't replicate the outstanding results we got from Wings, in just a couple MINUTES Rendered in Max, that ball(created in Wings)looks incredible! Wings ROCKS!

And Gare, WAY axis of rotation illustration! Makes perfect sense that way!

Dan Huff
    http://home.neo.rr.com/nikko/