Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Editing the DOCTYPE of a web page

Is there a way to edit the DOCTYPE of a website? If so where do I find it within xara web designer? I can only see it from the source page of my website.

aemdliz

Default Re: Editing the DOCTYPE of a web page

aemdliz, the <!DOCTYPE> declaration is not an HTML tag; it is an instruction to the web browser about what version of HTML the page is written in.
    Xara writes your HTML for you so its declaration should be immutable.

We have:
    XHTML 1.0 Transitional: This DTD contains all HTML elements and attributes, INCLUDING presentational and deprecated elements (like font). Framesets are not allowed. The markup must also be written as well-formed XML.
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    It is probably this to ensure maximal coverage for browsers in use.

Yes, you could use a text editor after publishing to alter it but it would revert every time you re-publish.

Acorn

And, what do you hope to gain by changing it?

Thanks for the info Acorn, and to answer gwpriester's question I am looking at anything that could possible answer a question to my previous post. I have having a problem getting a swf to autoplay with my website opens. I fishing, looking at anything and everything that could help me to resolve my issue. With me being a novice at this, I have to turn over every stone to try and find an answer. The DOCTYPE was in red so i thought it might be an issue. thanks for your feed back.

Quote Originally Posted by aemdliz View Post
    .....to answer gwpriester's question I am looking at anything that could possible answer a question to my previous post. I have having a problem getting a swf to autoplay with my website opens.
    Hi,
    Maybe you missed the point in your previous thread.
    The flash file is not loading (playing) because it apparently does not exist on the server. Only the flash *player* file has been uploaded.
    This is why you can play it in preview but not when published. Check to ensure that all files necessary for the video to play are published and are where the player expects to find them.
    There is nothing you can do by editing the exported HTML.

To add to sledger's post. If the .swf file exists on the server, it will be in your index_html_files folder (or index_htm_files folder if you chose the default publish option).

Can you verify the .swf file is in that folder? You may need to use an FTP application such as Filezila to connect to the server and check the contents of your site.

Thanks for your feed back sledger & qwpriester. I found a resolution to my problem. Because of your feed back, I really looked a little deeper. I felt there was nothing wrong with my files I pushed to be test website because I'm using the same video player (swf file) to stream my other mp4 video's on www.ibdunn.com/html/fms_video.html. These videos are being streamed by a flash media server which is running on the same server as my test web site www.ekimanit.net. The only difference between the two swf video player's is the video controls have been removed on the www.ekimanit.net website.

The resolution: I needed to add MIME type to IIS 6.0 running on my web server. I added file extension: .mp4 MIME type: video/mpeg

It appears the Flash Media Server handles streaming swf files differently than streaming directly from a website. I never expected the issue would be a MIME setting. Hopefully this will help someone else.

thanks again for your feed back
    aemdliz