Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Getting addthis social buttons to work in WDP7

I've been trying on and off unsuccessfully for quite a while, to get other styles apart from the small horizontal addthis bar to work on my website, it's on the bottom right of every page http://www.guitar-book.com/

I'm guessing it has something to do with how the buttons are contained within the bar whereas the other styles of addthis bar have buttons separately in a row, as well as their vertical style that hovers on your site. I've tried to get these to work to no avail, making a graphic then putting the html into the placeholder, adding the html to the page, I think I've tried most things still won't work. Facebook buttons don't seem to go onto the site either when attempting. The trial version of WD9 does not allow social buttons so there would be no way of finding out if it would work on that.

Default Re: Getting addthis social buttons to work in WDP7

Ahah! I looked at the website gallery on xara and found a couple of sites that had floating social bars on the side of their site, they use "Sharethis" which seems to work on mine (I didn't know other social button aggregate companies exist), still a bit of trouble getting the "BF like" button and haven't uploaded to my webhost yet. Xara don't seem to have this in their widgets (at least not for WD7).

Default Re: Getting addthis social buttons to work in WDP7

I thought I'd update for anyone who is interested. Since putting up the "Sharethis" hovering share buttons my social shares have increased, on the 5th July I got 7 social shares! by people on FaceBook, Google+ and Pinterest. The Google+ share is good knowing that that is certainly going to be accounted for by google (some shares can't be crawled due to privacy settings apparently). It seems like the visibility of the hover bar may be helping increase my shares.

I think now that search engines are accounting social signals in their algorithms (I have gone up 2 notches on Google search results recently) website design is more important with human eyes becoming judge, all the more reason to get a good design to encourage social sharing and pay a good webdesigner.