Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default That ol' trace command

Hi. I've been trying to use XARA P&G Designer 6 to create vector traces of bitmapped photos as a simplified basis for painting, saving the trace as a bitmap for PShop work. I've mounted the Xara app on both an XP machine and on a Win7 computer, and I'm running into the same sort of problem with both systems.

I usually tell Xara to mount a horizontal or vertical format, and I then import my photo for a trace. The trace goes well in the small preview window until "Insert" -- initially blacked out -- appears as a possibility/requirement. At that point, things may or may not go well. Usually, if I click "Insert" when it illuminates, nothing indicates that Xara is doing anything. Occasionally I do get a vector image. If not, and I then click on the image itself (still a bitmap, for all I can tell), or on a blank portion of the screen, the "working" symbol appears and never goes away. I've left it for an hour or two, but Xara apparently just stops. When in the rare case I do get a trace, it happens with breathtaking speed, so something's awry. The instructions for P&G Designer tracing on line are virtually the same for this app as they are in my printed 1995 manual for Corel Xara v. 2.0. Slim pickings. If I can get instructions here that would let me use Xara trace without frustration, I'd be grateful: when it works, Xara generates a trace like no other except the expensive Vector Magic: better, in fact!

Best
    Oyster

Default Re: That ol' trace command

if possible, upload an image that we could test for you so the performance of our trace using the same parameters can be compared
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Default Re: That ol' trace command

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    if possible, upload an image that we could test for you so the performance of our trace using the same parameters can be compared
    Thanks, BF. I mounted my copy of Illustrator (CS2 is free on the Adobe Site) and found its "trace" provisions have come miles since I stopped using Illustrator years ago. Effortless now, with a rich selection of possibilities. no point in struggling with Xara. But much obliged for your offer.

Grassgrown