Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Select by attributes?

Is there some way to select by attributes? For example, select all lines that are grey and under 4cm long? Or select all text under 8pts in Tahoma?

Thanks

Default Re: Select by attributes?

In XDPX, you can access the Name Gallery.
    This exposes the Used Fonts, Styles and Colours.
    Your exact requirements probably won't pass muster.

If you were a perfectionist, you could create a set of Names (blueline, 4Point, shortLine, ...) and add them to all the necessary objects.
    This would be a horrendous overhead as you would have to add and maintain for all changes forever.
    For Fonts, you could more readily create a number of Styles.
    I can't imagine how to cover line lengths.

Acorn

It's not for my own document, it's for a map I have that was made in Quark. Xara imports each entity as a separate object - even each letter is separate. I wanted to remove some elements and superimpose the remainder on top of a satellite view of the area.

The feature is called Quick Select in AutoCAD (and has been around for at least 12 years). You can see it in action here. I guess that won't be coming to Xara any time soon?

So if you have AutoCAD can you not use qselect and then export out the items?
    Can you export the Quark document into HTML and then use Xara's Import text and graphics from Web...? Or PDF?
    With enough tools in various products I am sure there is a workflow waiting.

Xara utilises the layers and (soft) grouping concepts extremely well and if a document is designed properly the selection of grids or other entities can be readily applied. In you case it is a retro-fit activity that I suffered more than once.

I find the Xara import filters are generally the unsung heroes of the product.

Acorn

No, AutoCAD will mess the map up. It can't work with PDF files and even if it could this map would make it crash. It's a very nice vector map, and Xara imports it just fine (except for the font which I'm missing). It just seems that Xara is lacking the tools for this particular editing task. It's not impossible to do manually, but it'll take many hours.

I agree that Xara's import-export filters are exceptional. It's one of the reasons I bought the program.

Is it possible to completely replace all objects of a particular colour with a transparent fill? That would get me part of the way there.

Yes to this if you have XDPX. You would use the Name Gallery.
    When you pick the round circle to the left of the Used colour, it turns solid red and all such coloured items are selected.
    You then click No Colour and pick Clear fill colour or Clear Line colour.

acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Yes to this if you have XDPX. You would use the Name Gallery.
    ...and it's finished . Thanks everso, you saved me many hours. That name gallery is a fantastic tool.

Also, PGD still has the Name Gallery PGD is awesome

Great to hear.
    Did you make them transparent or just delete?

Acorn

Deleted