Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Actually, it's a Marine thing. I don't believe the other branches of the Armed Forces use that terminology; I could be mistaken, but don't think so.

As a former Marine who spent over 20 years in the "Corps" (as we call it) I find some of these comments quite amusing, to say the least.

I would venture to say the average graphic artist and/or designer on the block these days has never spent one day in the armed forces. What say you, folks? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

http://www.thefontman.com/marines_small.jpg

[This message was edited by The Fontman on August 23, 2001 at 16:02.]
    The Fontman
    "For those who fought for freedom...freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

OH USA - Home to Cedar Point (Roller Coster King)

I, for one, served one hitch in the Army in my younger days. My husband (Jeff) joined with me under their buddy program. I left after that, but he stayed in for a total of 6.5 years.

One of Jeff's brother served for 20 years in the Navy. Another for nearly 10 years in the Air Force. Jeff's father was in the Navy for a while. My father, who had polio as a child, couldn't join any of the military services. He served in the Merchant Marines during WWII. (We've been kidding other siblings that someone needs to join the Marines & Coast Guard yet so we have a full deck.)

How does having a military background preclude having artistic talent? Both Jeff & I have extensive art backgrounds which we found quite useful during our time in the service. My father-in-law, after leaving the Navy, went on to become the Choir Director at our local (class A) high school. I could go on, but I think I've made my point.

Mr. Fontman, whomever you are, grow up! I didn't come here for software bashing discussions, or flame wars. To do so is childish in the extreme.

Push yourself to notice the extraordinary in the ordinary.

Irene M. Kraus
    www.design-comp.com
    aka The Computer Lady!
    Web Development & Video Tutorials - Design Works Internet https://www.facebook.com/Design-Works-Internet

3 years in the Army (drafted 1970-73) ... I don't think it really counts though. A lowly E-4.

I believe Gary P. was in Korea, so Fontman your theory is "flakey" as the old military saying goes [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Its fun to realize that not only are Xara folks are from all over the globe but they are from all walks of life, left and right "brainers" as well.

25 years old graduated teacher of Computer Science and English (my grammar is lousy though ;-) and yet I served 1 year in signal company in Slovak army. It was quite a learning experience. Since then I advice all my friends to go to civil service instead.

Fontman, I'm a climber and have been for goin on 3 years, and I'll take a wild guess and say that you have never climbed a 5.11+

No offense intended, just tryin to make you realize what you said

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Well I never was in the service. But I salute all who have served for their country.

Steve , Congrats! I guess it was a logo after all. Good job! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Just think of all the pigs you will be helping. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

... Dmagician... I served one year in the Swedish signal coprs. I did a lot of reserch before I went for my test so I could apply for the softest position in the armed forces.

I never expected to get my own room... I never expected to have a cleaning lady come by and clean that room! This is true! After 3 months training it was all just cruisin' [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

The toughest thing that I had to through was that I toasted some mouldy bread one morning in my little kitchenette [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] and had to run puking my guts out all over the staff building before I made it to the washroom. I got the morning of... I spent it watching the olympics on TV - I did mention that I had my own TV, no? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Ahhh... those were the days... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Risto

diri@videotron.ca

Actually it didn't start that well for me. First month (winter) 10 people in the same room, catched cold immediatelly from someone and it stayed with me. Basic training sucked a lot and we couldn't move anywhere without corporal Polak what was okay but quite anoying when you needed to go to toilet ;-)) (he didn't go with you, but it was quite hard to explain that you need to...).

I was told that after training I would be the teacher of English Language for high rank officers but it was just a lie as half of the things they told me since then in army. But you can get used to it. Then I was move to the place of my operations, chicane both from older soldiers and commander (of course not only me, all youg soldiers were treated wery "decently" and I was heard that it was still much better than previous years). First I got home after 4 weeks and then 3 monhts without it!!! (someone could say it's okay, you were in army, but it wasn't as some people wen home every second week and some never. Army is not fair. I quite angry my captain a lot at that time only to realise later that he is a pathetic creature not worth my anger. At the end of the service he actually tried to get the realtionship with me to some better shape, but I just ingnored him. I can forgive, but I remember.

Okay when it started to be better? When I started to work at dpt. of culture or what was it, as a tutor for high officer. I have been ordered to prepare them for Stanag Courses of English Language. So I brought my own PC and had my own table and a office where I could play music out loud after 16:00. I shared the place with one cool guy who was something like cinema-projector-maintenance or something like that ;-) and with kpt.Solcansky who just promised and promised but never helped anyone. Meanwhile I met Major Moyzes the secondary chief of headquarters of 12th tank brigade. The communication with him was always quite a fun. He was somehow arrogant and nervous person without sense of humour, at least it seemed so I always had a real fun to argue with him. He knew I'm joking and I knew he won't kill me for my sincerity. I'm good at installing software and hardware and they needed help at HQ. So I came and made som maintenance. Then he needed OCR software for scanner as his original CD was bugged so he sent me home to Nitra and brouhgt a copy of mine while taking a shower and eating good food at mommys place ;-). Meanwhile I was serving the worst duties I could. Winter guard at gate, weaponry-park, and some other posts. Duty lasts 24 hours, and it's quite exhausting and boring. I've even got service at company post when January batch went to civil. It was crazy (not much blood, but some).

Gradually I became known by whole stupid 12th tank brigade suite (Mjr. Moyzes and ltn. col.. Kolarsky and some others are a slight exceptions, but still they have green brains even they are more human) and then I was asked by Mjr.Moyzes to move from dpt. of culture to HQ. So I did ask my kpt. if I can and he said NO!. So I told Mjr. Moyzes and whoops I was ordered (me unranked soldier) to meet lieutnant colonel Kolarsky. He gave me one question: "Would you teach me English?" I said yes, no problem, and I was in. Since March 2000 until the end of my service in September 26 2001. I was writing daily order of the colonel Mihalov the commander of 12th tank brigade. I quite had respect from my kpt. since then (you know it's quite good to have man in the HQ) bud I didn't care about it. I wrote my weekend-offs myself into daily order. I didn't need to rely on his never coming kindness anymore. Since then I've learned a lot about who is who and who is not who is he pretending to be and quite had a fun sometimes. I wasn't alone there at HQ. There were more soldiers with me serving - which came batalion of commander or how it is translated (I was doing some translations and powerpont presentations btw. for the international inspecting team which often came here to eat good food, drink and jump on the tanks mostly ;-)) Gradually I could help a lot of people who couldn't go home to go home as I took it as some sort of holy war against stupidity. Sometimes it was a real battle. E.g. once I had to mobilize 2 other kpt. to help one guy to prove that work what he did is good enough for him to be allowed to go home through weekend. ltn.col.Kolarsky then told me that how unrakned soldier can ask him things which should be asked by the commander of the guy who wanted to go home. I told him that that commander is a jerk and will never do it for his soldiers. He laughed and guy went home.

During the whole service I spend 10 weekends at home plus I had around 28 days vacation which is in the law so nobody cancell it or negate it (fortunatelly). I was the average in this, there were pople who went home 2 even 3 times more, and also some who didn't go home for whole service. Slovak army is not fair - it sucks! There were few guys at signal company who lived like you Risto, but it wasn't the case for whole company. Anyway the in company we all were friends even when some of us were privileged. I had very good friends serving at telephone central which lived exactly lie you described ;-), just they had to pick up phones 8 hours a day, night or whatever time they served.

Only thing I would like to add that I never did a real signal-guy duties for my whole army service...

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]