Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Default Re: Page and Layout Designer

I'd like to see how this new product compares to Serif PagePlus, which I think is a great program for the price. I don't think anyone is expecting PLD to compete with InDesign.

Very cool the new features will flow into Pro. Any new text layout features are much appreciated, as I enjoy laying out 1-2 page things in Xara if possible rather than resorting to InDesign.

And I know there are many amazing work-arounds in this awesome product, and I don't expect it to match feature for feature with much more expensive products that specifically do one thing, but for long docs I really rely on:
    * master pages
    * sections for page-numbering
    * table of contents and index tools
    * bookmarking for PDF's
    * auto-hyphenation
    * fairly beefy text-kerning tools
    * pre-flight warnings

Are any of these available? This isn't a complaint if they're not, it's just a cry from the heart from a devoted Xara user that would love to use it in as many scenarios as possible!

* master pages

Create a template.

* sections for page-numbering

Any text area can be an automatic page number. Plus you can have additional text such as My Excellent Review - Page _

* table of contents and index tools

Not yet

* bookmarking for PDF's

Unclear

* auto-hyphenation

Not yet

* fairly beefy text-kerning tools

Yep. These have been in place for years.

* pre-flight warnings

Nope. But if you have Acrobat then yes.

Thanks Gary!

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, templates aren't really the same thing as master pages. It's more along the line of 'repeat on every page' objects, only you can create multiple masters that hold all the 'repeat on every page' objects you need for a particular layout, and then you can apply those masters to individual pages. You can hack something similar in Xara with 'stop updating' and copy and paste, but it's not particularly elegant.

For the page numbering I meant can you restart the count on a particular page, or switch to roman numerals for the appendix, etc?

Bookmarking for PDF means can you highlight something and set it as a bookmark that will be included in the PDF export? This is a HUGE timesaver in InDesign, as you don't need to add all the bookmarks in Acrobat, and you can actually test them as the document grows and changes.

Thanks for the text heads up: I'd missed the tracking field in the flyout in the menu bar. Cool stuff!

Jon

Exactly my wish-list, Jon. Then its goodbye Indesign.
    Tony

If you own Indesign, Tony, I'm not sure why you'd be in such a hurry to ditch it, particularly if you make large documents.

@tovakas - Templates can work as master pages. Set up the page exactly as you would a master page with your text styles, layout, graphics, etc. the save the template (File > Save as Template...) Name your template appropriately.

When you want to use your template, File > New... Your Template.

TIP: If you have several master pages that you will be working from, have all of these open. Then as you need a master page, go to that page, Edit > Copy Page, and then Paste Page (the template/master page) into your document at the appropriate place.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    If you own Indesign, Tony, I'm not sure why you'd be in such a hurry to ditch it, particularly if you make large documents.
    I've had problems with it, that even Adobe haven't been able to solve. I also find it a bit cumbersome.
    Tony

Here's a prediction. Xara will not ever build into XDP the ability to replace a layout application. Never. But I do not believe that is the focus of this new application nor the inclusion of these features in XDP.

ID, Quark and PagePlus (and others) are too involved to incorporate their features into what is a vector drawing application. Which is one reason that I would have preferred emphasis on core drawing features being updated and expanded.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by tonylondon View Post
    I've had problems with it, that even Adobe haven't been able to solve. I also find it a bit cumbersome.
    I think you'd be swapping one set of issues for another.