Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Which SECOND COPY of Xara Product should I buy?

I'm posting in this thread, because I think the answer will be a version of Xara Web Designer...

Some History...

I have been using Xara since first version...

When Xara released Pro 7 I had an employee assisting in web design and graphics work. I bought a second copy of Xara Pro 7.

He no longer works for me. I have upgraded my copy of Xara Pro 7 to 8 and plan to buy 9 when it is released.

I have a new employee. She is very new to web design and graphics so I don't want to spend a lot of money on something she will likely not use 80% of.

I checked to see if there was a Xara Pro 7 TO Web Designer upgrade option - there is not... though I guess that would not make sense.

So, should I just outright buy a $49.99 copy of Web Designer 9 or go with a $99 of Premium... or I could always wait an upgrade her version of Pro 7 to Pro 9.

=== WHAT I'M REALLY ASKING ==

If I create something in Xara Pro 8/9 will she be able to edit everything in Web Designer 9 ($49.99 version)

I plan to download and test out some theories... just wanted to know if someone else had already done this.

Default Re: Which SECOND COPY of Xara Product should I buy?

Hi,
    the newer versions of Xara products are backwards compatable, that is they will read previous version, but the older version may read some of the new files but with
    some errors on the new features that are used. How far back they will read I am not sure.
    Jim
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Let me rephrase the question...

If I am developing content in Xara Designer Pro 8/9 and I buy my assistant Web Designer 9 ($49.99) is that going to be so limited that it is a waste of time? I see that the $49.99 version does not have bevel, mould, etc, etc, etc... so, if I create a project with that stuff in it and she opens it will things break or she just can't CREATE stuff with those... should I get her Web Designer Pro $99 OR go all the way to Xara Designer Pro 8/9 to ensure she can work on stuff I create.

I think you should for the most part be able to use web designer to update websites created in Pro. It's just that you have less tools and assets at your disposal to do certain things. Ideally it's probably best to both work with pro and the same toolsets but I think if you should get away with the scenario you're talking about. Having said that I think a new version of web designer premium is usually around the same price as a new pro upgrade on launch so might be best to hold off and just upgrade your second pro version or at least compare the prices when it does come out.
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

I think in the past the "smaller" versions of the software would be able to load things they didn't include but could not either create them or edit them. I don't know if that extends to features that didn't exist at all, however. for example, if the mould tool were completely new to the v9 series, then v8 probably wouldn't have any idea what to do with it, whereas if the mould tool existed in the high end v8 option but not the low end v8 option, it would behanve as described above.

This is just my guess - so you'll have to check. I agree with the idea of getting a new version of one and an upgrade of the same. May cost a little more, but you will be able to ensure compatibility and when your new person advances, they will be able to use the new features without yet another expense.