Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: editing a jpg

Default Re: editing a jpg

OK. Now I'm really perplexed. I'm trying to re-export the full-sized elliptical-shaped head shots using the steps Sledger & FredC shared with me. They worked just dandy with the small versions. I open one of the exported PNG images in Picasa and the image appears with the "checkerboard" transparent background. Drop it onto a photo doc and there are no white edges Lovely, right? Not happening with the full-sized versions.

Here's what I'm doing:
    1. Drag & drop JPG into program
      • Have optimized photo to 150 dpi at this point. Thought that was a problem but it's not
    2. Paste my "cutout" ellipsis over the picture
    3. Select both objects
    4. Press CTRL+3 to intersect the shapes
      • Have optimized photo to 150 dpi at this point. Thought that was a problem but it's not
    5. Export as a PNG

Am I missing something? I'm extremely tired but I'm pretty sure that's the way I handled all the 94x111 images and they're working just fine.

Also, for some strange reason, I cannot draw an ellipse. Period. It only comes out as a circle. Thought the config was backwards so I tried holding CTRL but I still get a circle. What is happening in my little corner of WNY?!?!?

Do you have a suggestion as how to join the colors and eliminate the gaps?
    Ha! You have to really zoom in to see those gaps!
    Something like this I would not even bother try to fix.
    If the gaps are visible at 100% (IOW: The background shows through) then I clone the image.

See ► http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jxh25pYWpc

Quote Originally Posted by unfaithfulsfan View Post
    Export as a PNG
    Export as PNG 'True Color + Alpha' (settings button)

sledger - clone (ctlr+K) the traced result then group (ctrl+G)... That corrected the gaps, thank you a million!!!

Pleasure

Hi Jack,
    ...Export as a PNG
    Make sure to select 'True Color + Alpha'

Also, for some strange reason, I cannot draw an ellipse. Period. It only comes out as a circle. Thought the config was backwards so I tried holding CTRL but I still get a circle. What is happening in my little corner of WNY?!?!?
    Re: ellipse -- In XDPX, when you choose 'ellipse', in upper left you'll see 'Change' and 3 option boxes; first option is Radius, then Diameter, then Bounds; you want to use Bounds.

I was going to include a graphic, but for some reason this morning, I can't upload any images.
    ~Fred

Ahhh, Fred, the old "select the alpha" ploy! Fatigue has definitely set in. I was pretty sure I had done that but I'll make sure. Thanks.

Ditto on the "Bounds" selection.

I was going to include a graphic, but for some reason this morning, I can't upload any images.

I feel your pain....

Thanks again!!

Nope. It's still not working. Wait, it seems to work if I clip the image on the photo layout template. It's when I export the PNG that something gets lost. There again, I haven't yet exported the layout. I'll see what happens after that. So weird. It worked on one but none of the others.

Oh, well. I'll work on layouts that aren't dependent on transparent backgrounds. Ai yi yi!

Maybe I need to move farther up the chain (or down, depending on your perspective) to the original images and see if I have better luck.

Thanks!!

OK. True to form, I've over-complicated this whole process by not taking into account everything Xara takes into account. I'll just leave it at that for the moment while I get back to work.