Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: editing a jpg

Default Re: editing a jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bcire68 View Post
    I see that you are also using XDPX. You could always download the new version of P&GD and use the new Background erase tool. I did a quick tutorial on how to use background erase which you can see below.

Eric
    Great tutorial, Eric.
    Many thanks, indeed.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Thanks, Fred!!! That seems to have done the trick!! Now I have to do the other 40 or 50 shots. Maybe I'm lazy but I wonder if there's a utility out there...... I'm already enamored of Fastone for their file resize tool and a couple others they make not to mention the file re-naming tool I found a few months ago. I'll bet some nice programmer somewhere has made one.

Thanks, also to you, again, Gary!!! That's probably just what I need (among the many !) You guys have saved my bacon more times than I can count . Hopefully I can return the favor one day.

Have a great weekend, everyone!!

Jack

Here's a vector (XAR) image of the patch. Resize to the needed size and save it as PNG with the COLOR DEPTH setting = True Color + Alpha. Save the Vector as a XAR file, for later usage..
    One thing, select all and set the line width to 0.53pix

See Attachment Below...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by laser1 View Post
    One thing, select all and set the line width to 0.53pix
    Why?

Wow!! Thanks, laser1!! Gosh, you guys are great!! As I've been working on this patch in between photo layouts I actually had been wondering how difficult it would be to convert this into a vector drawing so it's not so pixelated. You beat me to it, though!! Something to work on after I get this project completed. (If ever! Though I have to say it has been an incredible learning experience.)

Now, however, I'm going to be posting a new thread about masks. I didn't want to hijack my own thread....

Because I saved the vector image with the line width slightly too narrow. It left a very fine line area as being transparent. By having a thicker line 0.53, the transparent gap is eliminated.

I saved the vector image with the line width slight too narrow.
    There should really be no line. Adding a line is not 100% true to the original image.

It left a very fine line area as being transparent.
    A transparent line = No line anyway. You probably mean 'gaps' - this is normal when bitmaps are traced.

By having a thicker line 0.53, the transparent gap is eliminated.
    A method used by many members to eliminate gaps in traced bitmaps, is to clone (ctlr+K) the traced result then group (ctrl+G).
    This method prints perfectly, however it isn't useful for embroidering. Digitizing for an embroiderer needs much more accuracy, though we don't really know what the OP is doing with the final result?

I use a program called Vector Magic to redraw bitmaps and save as vector pdf file. I drag and drop the file into XDPX. XDPX automatically adds a default line around each vector section. The default lines are usually too narrow.
    I did not write anything about a transparent line. I wrote "It left a very fine line AREA as being transparent". A narrow line was present and the vector sections were stationary, that left a very fine transparent area between the line and the vector sections.
    For several years, I used the tool traced bitmaps with unsatisfactory results. Vector Magic Desktop Software has a one time charge of $299 or an online unlimited monthly fee of $7.99.

XDPX automatically adds a default line around each vector section.
    Strange you should get part pixel line widths.
    I also use VM desktop often. It never imports with a line width and neither does Xara Designer Pro X add one.
    Attached Files Attached Files

You are right, my mistake about the lines. I remember that I started add the lines to fill the fine gaps between the colors. I just viewed your posted graphic and there are fine gaps between the colors also. Do you have a suggestion as how to join the colors and eliminate the gaps? Thanks for your comments...