Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: editing a jpg

Default editing a jpg

OK, I'm just not grasping the concept, I guess. I'm trying to isolate the actual patch from the white rectangle so I have more room to work with it in some of the photo layouts. First I used a web app which removed the white background but did nothing about the "frame" of the graphic. I cannot manage to cut the thing out with any degree of even-ness for want of the real term. I wind up with jagged edges which I then cannot seem to smooth out or manipulate the line color to fill in gaps. I've been putzing with this image since around noon today and I'm no closer now than I was when I started.

Can someone please help me with this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sloan_patch.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	96761

Default Re: editing a jpg

Use the shape editor tool (F4).
    Draw a line around the shield shape.
    When you reach the line start point, the new shape will close. Select the shape and the bitmaps and press CTR+3

.xar attached with finished items and to learn from
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sloan.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	96763  
    Attached Files Attached Files

which other app? - maybe there is a way to crop the shield out so removing the frame?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

I see that you are also using XDPX. You could always download the new version of P&GD and use the new Background erase tool. I did a quick tutorial on how to use background erase which you can see below.

Eric

I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

Quote Originally Posted by bcire68 View Post
    I see that you are also using XDPX. You could always download the new version of P&GD and use the new Background erase tool. I did a quick tutorial on how to use background erase which you can see below.

Eric
    That's what slays me about Xara. Every time I buy a product, within a couple of weeks a better version is released! Grrrr. Nice job on the video, though!

Sledger, I just can't seem to get the knack of the Shape Editor tool. Guess I just need to keep practicing, In the meantime, I will avail myself upon your generous gift so I can get these custom layouts done and uploaded ASAP. Thanks so very, very much! I missed my overall deadline but I'm working furiously to finish it today.

Don't give up hope unfaithfulsfan

First off, sledger's solution for a simple shield shape is the best method.

But, you can use Designer Pro X's Color Select Erase function to do the same thing that Eric is suggesting (it's in the Photo Tool flyout menu).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Color Select Erase.png 
Views:	96 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	96773  

Thanks, Gary!!!

Well I played around with the Shape Editor tool and I'm getting a little more proficient with it. Is there a setting I'm missing? When you say "draw a line around the shape" I think of clicking and dragging which does nothing. I can click my way around the shape and it gets pretty close but too many control points make it more difficult to make small adjustments.

But the main issue I'm having now, despite sledger's and all your wonderful suggestions and tips, is that when I export the clipped image, it still appears on a white background, albeit a much smaller one. Is there any way to make the background completely transparent?

Thanks again! I owe all you guys lunch or something.

Quote Originally Posted by unfaithfulsfan View Post
    ... Is there any way to make the background completely transparent?...
    You will need to export it as a .png file; .jpg does not support transparency. Let us know if that works for you.
    ~Fred

Have a look at this old Workbook article on Drawing with the Shape Editor Tool (now just called the Shape Too) http://www.xaraxone.com/webxealot/wo...workbook_2.htm