Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Problem with Blended and Contoured objects

Hi guys.

Just wanted to ask if anybody else here have problems with objects inside Blended and Contoured groups?
    I use Xara Designer to create icons, that's why I usually have 2 views open, one is 100% zoom and another is about 500% to deal with little details.
    Starting with the version 7 of Xara Designer I can no longer edit objects inside of Blended or Contoured groups, the application just freezes.

I put tickets into tech support for this issue but the answer that I got more than a year ago was:
    "I'm afraid we cannot provide a timescale as to when this issue will be resolved"
    and this year is:
    "The bug has been logged but I cannot guarantee when it will be resolved. The development team must prioritise problems along with product development. It's possible it will be fixed in future releases and each time the bug is reported a count is incremented and added to the bug report."

I may not be right but it sounds to me like a polite version of "NO".
    And it has been three new releases since the bug first appeared... and I can't upgrade since Xara Designer 6 because of that.

I must admit I have mixed feelings about that... first I'm frustrated because of being stuck on some old version. Second I'm starting to think that I may really be the only one person in the world who uses those features, so I'll just have to accept the fact it's not going to work anymore.

Well... except for venting. Does anybody experience troubles with that? Maybe you found a workaround or something since I can't have it fixed. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you!

Default Re: Problem with Blended and Contoured objects

Can you give us an example of how this works?

I have found that since I first started using CorelXara (about 1996) that the Blend Tool has changed a lot. One of the problems is when they add a new feature or tool, it can sometimes change the way another tool (such as the blend tool) works.

Hello Gary,

Please see the attached files.
    Open bug.xar file and arrange two views like it is shown on bug_pre.png.

Then try to use any object inside of Blend or Contour group using Ctrl key and try to do something with it.. move, rotate, resize, etc. After that it stucks.

I understand there may be some unexpected bugs appearing in places which seem not to be affected by development... being a software developer myself for four years I know the complex software can be hard to pull together.
    I was more upset of the fact that nobody apparently is going to fix it at all in the nearest future judging by the responses I got from the support team And since it's critical for me I'm trying to find a suitable workaround.
    Anyway thank for your help Gary!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bug_pre.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	96759  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Centaurus,
    I donīt remember anymore how version 6 or 7 worked regarding blends and contours. In most recent versions you can't edit the intermediate steps of a blend. Only the initial and final steps. The blend will update accordingly. I'm not sure if we could ever change an intermediate step of a blend no matter of version. But i never get stuck. The blend updates correctly.

No no I'm not talking about intermediate steps. I'm talking about start and final step. That is that stopped working in version 7 and is not working until now.
    But the bug only appears if you have several views opened.

Sorry i misunderstood what you said here: Then try to use any object inside of Blend or Contour group using Ctrl key and try to do something with it...
    Anyway you're right, it freezes Xara if more than one view is open. Still there isn't much we can do about it since Xara already is aware of this situation.
    I see your problem, unfortunately i don't have any useful idea for this

I can confirm I am having the same problem when Ctrl-clicking one of the end objects and attempting to move it, however it is occurring inconsistently. Once I shut down the program via the Task Manager (it would not let me exit normally), I opened the file and arranged the views again, and was able to Ctrl-click one end fo the object and move it around, change the color, etc.

I was also able to select the object by drilling down into the layers gallery, so there may be a possible workaround.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

Hi Ben,

I tried to select an object by Layer gallery but it works the same..
    The matter is that you can change the color or pull object handles if it is a shape and it'll work. But if you try to move or rotate the whole object it freezes.
    The same thing happens in new version of Xara Designer for Contoured objects... if you look at the attached file, the group with 3 user figures.

bug.xar

Okay, with that file I'm seeing fairly consistent behavior so far. When two views are open, and I select one object in the blended group (either ctrl-click or via the layers gallery), attempting to move that object results in a partial lockup of the program. I can still scroll, pan, and zoom using the mouse wheel, but cannot click on anything (closing the program requires right-clicking on the program on the taskbar and selecting close).

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

Hi Centaurus,

I've just had a look at this and the bug will be fixed in the next version of the program. It was caused by the contour and blend objects updating both views during dragging, which is not quite right (you can see it leaving bits behind in one of the views) and not how other objects behave. This unexpected behaviour was upsetting some of the other code.

BTW: There is a workaround for you until the fix is released - have a single view and use Ctrl+Mousewheel to quickly zoom in and out. I think this is what most people do when they want to look at a drawing in detail because it's extremely quick, natural and convenient. That's presumably why very few other people encountered the problem.

BTW2: If you do ever encounter this bug (the semi-hang where clicks are mostly ignored), pressing Escape should get you out of it.

Phil