Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Double clicking an object opens new file - bug?

When I double click an object in Xara Pro X sometimes it opens the object in a new file.

I say sometimes because it doesn't do it under all circumstances. I think it is just on some cloned objects. I normally use double click on an object as a shortcut to the shape tool (used to be called shape editor tool). Even though it only does it on some objects, when it decides to do this it is consistent for that object.

Any clues as to what is going on here?

Default Re: Double clicking an object opens new file - bug?

Turn off the computer and get out of the house. Fast!!!

I have not heard of this before but next time it happens, try to remember the sequence of steps that led up to it and see if you can replicate it.

It could also be that your file has gotten corrupted somehow.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

It sounds like you might be opening an Edit Inside window, but this should only happen if you double click a group. When this happens is the object grouped with it's self?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Thanks guys.
    Yes Angelize you are right, it happens with a group and I have realized that it is the “Edit Inside” function being triggered by the double click as you said. I’m new to this feature cos I’ve been working in Xara pro 6 until recently and I don’t think version 6 had this option.
    This is obviously a good feature for some situations, but I am so used to double clicking to bring up the Shape editor tool, even with groups because the object in the group that you double click on used to show its point handles when you double clicked on it. I looked in the Shortcut utility to see if I could customize the Edit Inside shortcut, but it wasn’t listed.

The edit inside function was new in version 7. It's actually a very powerful feature. Once you double click the group and open the edit inside window you can edit any object within the group as if it were ungrouped. So you can still use the double click to trigger the shape tool, just double click once to open the edit inside window and then double click the object again in the edit inside window. Once you have finished your edits simply hit ctrl +s to save and return to the main document where your group is still grouped.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |

Quote Originally Posted by Dilaco View Post
    I looked in the Shortcut utility to see if I could customize the Edit Inside shortcut, but it wasn’t listed.
    If you wish to change this behavior you can download the registry tweak utility XaReg2 and untick the "Double Click Edit Inside" under the "General" tab. See here: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...g-2-3-released

Thanks again everybody for the support. And great to see XaReg has been updated.

Before you disable this feature I would recommend that you experiment with it and see whether or not it may prove to be worth the extra double click. I find it very useful
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yes I also, that is very good function and worth to accustom to it

Good advice Angelize, I won't disable it. Actually the main reason I was glad to see Xareg has been updated is because now I can make my point handles bigger, like I had them in version 6.