Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Serif PagePlus X7 -- text rendering issue

Noticed that PagePlus renders body text like Adobe Framemaker -- sort of rough, not smooth like XDP or Publisher or Word. Using a font called Lexia DaMa, to replicate Kindle's PMN Caecilia, but I get the same rough effect using Times New Roman or Arial. Using a 10" Acer netbook, 1024 x 600, Win 7 Starter, ClearType turned on and tuned. Any ideas? Here's what it looks like --

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fonttest.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	96698
    Author -- 'Drawing for Money' and 'Self-Publishing Secrets', at Jon404.com

Default Serif PagePlus X7 -- text rendering issue

Noticed that PagePlus renders body text like Adobe Framemaker -- sort of rough, not smooth like XDP or Publisher or Word. Using a font called Lexia DaMa, to replicate Kindle's PMN Caecilia, but I get the same rough effect using Times New Roman or Arial. Using a 10" Acer netbook, 1024 x 600, Win 7 Starter, ClearType turned on and tuned. Any ideas? Here's what it looks like --

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fonttest.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	96698
    (TG seems to be showing it very compressed -- look at http://jon404.com/fonttest.jpg for best resolution)

Default Re: Serif PagePlus X7 -- text rendering issue

You posted this thread twice btw

I don't have PP installed, but look in the options/prefs for something relating to using 'clear type'..

I moved Jon's other post into this thread.

I would also ask, "How does it print?"

Jon it looks like you are viewing it from the page, what is it like when you export it as a PDF and view at 100% in Acro reader or something like that does it still have no anti aliasing on the font. Don't have X7 but do have X6 and I have no problems with the output from PP X6 but when viewed at 200% it is not as nice as Xara at that zoom level but both output the same quality in Adobe reader.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Yes --should have made that clearer -- the output, printed to PDF, is perfect. Just fine. Was mildly complaining about how it looks on the PagePlus program page, while typing in new text. Anyway, no big deal.

The good news -- can report that it's easy to learn -- works a little differently than Frame (so does every other DTP program) but it has a ton of good user help, forums, etc. Started my book. Writing the text in my Jutoh editor, then pasting it into PagePlus and formatting it there. Four short chapters in so far. Test PDFs are great -- it picks up headings for PDF bookmarks, hyperlinks, and internal links without errors. Graphics anchor properly and happily move along with the text. Can't report on TOC handling -- will be selling a PDF with bookmarks, no usual TOC. May, or may not, make an index... but I usually hand-make them anyway. Can't tell yet if one will be needed.

Ran a test -- PagePlus lets me import PDFs -- vector graphics -- and then they output still as vector in the PagePlus PDF (Acrobat Reader can enlarge up to 6400%). And, a BIG DEAL -- like Framemaker, I can import a Flash .SWF, either a simple Xara one or an Actionscripted one from Flash itself... and it comes through in the PagePlus PDF working perfectly -- allowing real 'what-if' user interactivity. BTW, Framemaker 11's up to $900 these days, but you get XML and DITA and Schemas and all those other insane features that just give you four-aspirin headaches. At Qualcomm, I had to take an XML class along with the techwriters, it was like getting hit in the head with a 2x4. Horrible. Eeewww.

Checked the Adobe website to see how much money I've saved over InDesign. ¿Quien sabe? Like, they're not selling it any more, just renting it, by the month. But that's another day's story, and I don't want to beat a dead horse.

Table of Contents works well although it may look on first glance that it is not there. It took me a few weeks of doing 16 page newsletters to find BookPlus and use that utility Most of the work that I did was for a large NHS region which had local forums and these local forums had issues and concerns which were reported in their own area of the newsletters along with regional information. So instead of doing 16 newsletters on an individual format I just made chapters and copied pages over which saved time. Why not use WritePlus as your text editor instead of Jutoh that what it is there for and it will save you loads of time and all you have to do is to set the styles, graphics, bookmarks, hyperlinks, TOC + index etc. in the Book/Page manager.
    Design is thinking made visual.