Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Auto FX plugin not working correctly with Xara programs

It is extremely irritating that Xara Designer X and Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 9 have a plugin compatible problem. I purchased the newest version of Auto FX Software PGE 7 for $249, It produced correct images (see the attached graphic) on the left with both PaintShop Pro X5 and PhotoImpac X3 (each cost $49.95). Both Xara Designer X ($299)and Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 9 ($89.99) produced images that look like something that the dogs drug up.The image on the left was created with PaintShop Pro X5 and the same results was accomplished with PhotoImpac X3. The image (attached graphic on the right) with the blue distortion, was created with Xara Designer X and the same results was accomplished with Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 9. I have been having to use Auto FX Software PGE 7 in PaintShop Pro X5, then saving in a png format, load it into Xara Design Pro X to complete the graphic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Result plugin.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	96674  
    Last edited by angelize; 16 June 2013 at 06:35 PM.

Default Re: What are you hoping to see in the next version of Designer Pro?

I'm not familiar with that particular plugin but remember that Xara Designer is a vector (mathmatical geometry) application which can work with bitmap files in vector space.
    Paintshop Pro and PhotoImpact are raster (pixel - dot by dot) applications.
    You shouldn't compare vector apps with raster apps.

There are many plugins that require pixel selection areas, Xara vector applications don't work this way.
    In other words, not all Adobe type plugins are compatible with vector graphics applications...

Hey laser1 - did you by chance try to make a "bitmap copy" inside of Xara and then apply those FX? I know nothing about the issue or that particular plugin (except that I just happened to look at their site this morning due to a mention of one of their free plugs in my other current thread), but since Sledger points out below the vector vs. bitmap point, maybe it would work better with the image "flattened" to a bitmap version first? Just right click and choose "create bitmap copy", choose your settings, and then try to apply the FX to the copy.

Sledger - Thank you for the information. My first version of Xara was XaraX (cost $79.95), and I have purchased all updates through Xara Designer Pro X, Web Designer Pro 6, Xara3d 6. About 99% of my work was creating raster graphics.
    I was of the impression, that if the plugin was not compatible, it would not open an/and at time freeze Xara. Almost all of my many plugins are Photoshop compatible and do function beautifully with XaraX, Xara Extreme and with Xara Designer Pro X. Again - Thanks...

Slavelle - Thanks, I will flatten and then see what happens. Thanks!!!

Default Re: What are you hoping to see in the next version of Designer Pro? >> Tab Stops

Thanks - Both of you for the advise. Still have the same problem. I'll just continue to use Paintshop for that plugin, and transfer the png file to XDPX. XDPX is my favorite program... You put my mind at ease. I created the aattached test image with Paintshop
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photoshop pro X5.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	96678  

Quote Originally Posted by laser1 View Post
    Sledger - Thank you for the information. My first version of Xara was XaraX (cost $79.95), and I have purchased all updates through Xara Designer Pro X, Web Designer Pro 6, Xara3d 6. About 99% of my work was creating raster graphics.
    Of course you may create work which you export as a bitmap type (raster), but this does not make Xara a raster editor.

I was of the impression, that if the plugin was not compatible, it would not open an/and at time freeze Xara.
    Incorrect assumption.
    Non-compatible just means not guaranteed to work as expected (if at all).

Almost all of my many plugins are Photoshop compatible and do function beautifully with XaraX, Xara Extreme and with Xara Designer Pro X. Again - Thanks...
    Yes, that is my experience also.

BTW: We are off topic for this thread, perhaps a moderator can split these posts into a new discussion thread in the Xara Compatible Plugins forum?

Sledger - I appreciate your help and comments... You took a load off of my shoulders...

I already experienced a similar result too. It seems this happens when the plug-in have to output transparent parts (in other words when the plug-in has to deal with output alpha channels from shapes with irregular forms). Usually that's where those blue spots/color distortions appear. But i still have to check this out more carefully. It's still somewhat inconsistent.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

BTW: We are off topic for this thread, perhaps a moderator can split these posts into a new discussion thread in the Xara Compatible Plugins forum?
    Done
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.