Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Removing reflections in a photo

I'm working with the attached photo. As you can see (or rather, can't see) Jeanine's eyes are obscured by the glare on her glasses. I'm sadly finding little blips and blurbs such as this on all the outside shots because this event took place on an absolutely spectacular day (not that I'm complaining given the bizarre weather we've been having). It's just I could not see in the camera's display some of the problems. I even had a couple that are completely blurry though they looked fine on the display at the time.

What is the simplest way to quickly correct this? I have several similar shots of her but the glare is present in all of them. It's actually worse in a couple of them.

Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5885.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	96682

Default Re: Removing reflections in a photo

It's a snapshot not a portrait. I think you should leave it as is. We are used to looking at snap shots and take things such as reflections in stride. And it is the reflection off the glasses that provides us with the visual cue that the glasses have glass.

That said, you could edit the photo and make the color a bit deeper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-edited.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	96683  

Quote Originally Posted by unfaithfulsfan View Post
    What is the simplest way to quickly correct this?
    Maybe not the simplest if circumstances don't allow but a re shoot and thinking about lighting the subject is facing before you press the shutter release is the only way to deal with this.

Otherwise there's only a little you can do, such as clone the image, slice out the lenses, darken and feather.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	darken-eyes.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	96684

Hello,
    I do not know all of the features of the photo editor as I just purchased photo & graphics designer 9 yesterday but one idea that I think would work is if you have another digital photo of your friend that shows the eyes clear through the lens and a similar smile you could use the clone tool to replace the eyes. I am sure that there must be some sort of scaling that you could use to get it correct and without much hassle.
    I know that there are other editors that can do it but from what I have seen of the videos about PG&D you should have no major problems.

Steven

Thanks, everyone. Sledger, that was actually the third attempt in a different place. The sun was super bright that day. It probably seemed worse than it was because it was the first sunny day in at least two weeks. I guess "Buffalo gray" really is a color.

Steven, I tried that with another attempt in which her eyes were partially shadowed by the brim of her hat. It just did not look natural.

Gary, the only reason I have been sweating this is because the department hired me to photograph the event and all the members. Like I said, I'm by no means a pro photographer and I'm sure most of the things I'm hyperventilating over would have been avoided had I done more than one such event. With the web site, with precious few exceptions, if the shot looks good I use it, it it doesn't I pitch it. To me, this is a bit more involved and complex. Bottom line, I just want them to be happy with the product, same as I want for any of my customers be they for web design, PC repair, etc.. I know you're most likely right but still, I just want to do the best job I can and that probably is causing me to over-think some of these issues.

Thanks again for the help!

Another thought, sunglasses

Name:	firefighter.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	96700  

Here is an example of replacing the eyes from another source.
    Although, because I don't know what she really looks like, I most likely have the size, color , and placement of her eyes wrong, and this may not look anything like her.
    But you get the idea.

- And

Name:	Eye exchange example-2.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	96701  

Oh dear, that looks creepy
    Uncanny Valley..

Don't think you can do much about those reflections and some of the attempts made to do so, I don't think the lady would be pleased with I think the nearest you can get is to draw a shape to make a shadow of the cap peak and give it a linear trans. Hope this helps.

Stygg.

Name:	Shadow.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	96704  

Thanks, Stygg2003. Interesting method but I think gwpriester was correct in his suggestion to just leave it alone. Have learned a lot from you guys in working with this particular issue,though. You can never, ever, know enough, IMHO.