Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Wrapped text links do not highlight properly

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    My bad for only checking locally within Xara's product (it uses IE); in my defence I don't believe you mentioned it working properly in IE (You did say: " Now - for some reason, although I've confirmed that each paragraph is fully selected when I assign the popup layer to it").

I have checked in Chrome and it is down to the ordering of each of your Text areas in the MouseOff layer, in that the bottom one need to be the topmost position as you have got bounding boxes that sometimes overlaps the next paragraph. Alternatively, if you change each one from a text box to a text line (click a bottom corner in Text mode and drag upwards), that should clear the overlaps.
    You may wish to set all to Position on Page to Push to ensure no overlap happens.

Glad to say the jQuery is robust (so far)!

Acorn
    Nice! I was about to post that I had found the issue! My first clue was that, in Chrome, I could drag down with the mouse, and it would highlight the bounding box of the text item -- and that's where I saw some that looked like they overlapped the line below. Confirming that was the observation that the right hand edge of the box corresponded to the edge at which the link on the line below became usable.

But...when I went into DPX9, the overlap didn't appear as obvious. However -- I noticed something else about the text areas: each of the ones that was a problem had something in common: they all had the red down arrow at the end, suggesting that there was excess text waiting to be flowed into another text area. I clicked at the end of the text line, hit "delete" a few times until the red arrow changed to black. I did this in each text area, and then -- as you suggested, I dragged the bottom right corner of the text bounding area as tightly as I could get it without cutting off the text. So -- no overlap at all.

No idea, really, if the text overflow had anything to do with this, or if it was just the bounding areas (which probably makes more sense). But -- it works perfectly now!

Thanks SO much for the advice, detective work, and help!

I also noticed that I had created all the popup text items as groups -- so I'm assuming they're being exported as bitmaps. I'm going to go back and change them to soft groups, as I remember (if not wrong?) that this will leave the text exported as text -- hopefully a lighter weight page, and one that's better for SEO.

Thanks again!

...and, btw, yes - jQuery is certainly a powerful tool. I've been learning more and more, and must admit my eyes bugged out between all the different ways you can specify element selectors, and all the weirdness with CSS3 that can happen with descendant styles, shadow DOM, stylesheet versions, computed styles, normalize.css, etc. That doesn't even touch all the functionality that comes with HTML5 without writing a line of procedural code. Powerful indeed, but also an enormous opportunity to create dense and obscure (abstruse?) code that doesn't yield easily to debugging!

Back to your jQuery: the two Xara-internal styles you referenced apparently let you find all the hyperlinks within the selected styles in the DOM and process them. Nice! Is there any list, anywhere, that I might be able to get my hands on that would list and describe all these Xara-specific DOM elements, styles, etc? This project is my first combination of Xara, PHP and jQuery, and I'm seeing enormous potential for this. The more I can learn about the structure of Xara generated code, the more I can accomplish.

thanks in advance for any suggestions or info on this.

Jon, all I ever do is read the code by constructing a Xara page with the required element on it and use Inspect with Chrome.
    Key is if you can Name an item, do so. I nagged Xara for the ability to use Classes and they came up trumps so you can identify DOM elements with . and #.
    Once armed with such, you can search for the class or id and use jQuery to control it.
    I currently drop images onto a Layer and add a class and a small jQuery Placeholder produces a picture carousel.

Acorn

Interesting, meaty stuff Acorn. Coming from a background where I worked in code all the time, I love this stuff. Visual designers...not so much. I am getting tempted to play around with jQuery and X9...but I need my rest. lol