Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Cordless Keyboard question

I have a cordless keyboard (with a different computer) and it's just up and quit working. I have looked to the obvious things, the batteries are fine the USB connection is fine (there is a mouse that is part of the combo and the mouse responds fine) I can hit the calculator button and the windows calculator comes up but that's all that works the keyboard wont respond in any other way. Am I missing anything obvious? or is it time to go shopping?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Default Re: Cordless Keyboard question

After some online research I've found the problem seems it had something to do with a KVM switch I was using.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |

Am I missing anything obvious?
    Yes.. You didn't mention you were using a KVM.
    These are notoriously unreliable, but rare to find them in use outside of a PC technicians workshop or gamers den.

I was using it as I have an older PC that I've left some files on and the KVM was just an easy way to access the old beast with out having to re hook up keyboard monitor and Mouse each time as the ports on the beast are in the back and it usually means an acrobatic feat of climbing on the desk with one knee on the desk and one foot on my chair (it's not at all graceful lol) to get at the back of it as I can only pull it forward so far.

any way I solved my problem and the old beast will be recycled soon as what few files are left on it now aren't needed anymore and I haven't had a need for it in quite some time so I won't be needing the KVM anymore.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hi,
    I had a Logitech wireless Keyboard (2.4gh) and found it a pain in the Butt...It was not reliable at all...when you typed in the browser nothing .. so you retype then all of a sudden everything you typed appeared...took it off and went back to wired keyboard.
    I do have a logitech Mx anywhere mouse that works great but the keyboard is a No go.
    Jim
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

I use a Logitech K400 Wireless ,does a great job, No drop outs yet. Same batteries in it since December. It's small and light weight and serves its purpose. Have about % wired keyboards laying around just in case.
    Thanks Jim

I love to Bully Pixels

The OPs issue was with the KVM guys, not the wireless keyboard (fwiiw: Logitech arguably make the best and most reliable wireless input devices out there, very unusual for them to fail inside 3-5 years of normal daily use. ).

KVM = Keyboard/Video/Mouse
    See ► https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KVM_switch

Okay, this is "local" information: we live in the USA, and some of the details to follow might not be relevant in other countries:

The Logitech Model 520 combo has served me reliably for more than 7 years, only had to replace it once in this time when I fluctuated between an expensive Microsoft wireless+cordless optical mouse.

The Model 520 mouse is small, yet responsive and fits comfortably in both large and smaller hands. Both the mouse and the keyboard have easy to access on/off switches to extend battery life up to 10 months (was my experience, and I use rechargeables), and you have honest-to-gosh pilot lights (like on CapsLock) on the keyboard. The keyboard essentially has all you need for Win 7's 3D cool switching, and some Win 8 -specific features.

It's a clicky keyboard, too, for any of us who don't own a tablet and were taught touch-typing. The response and audio signalling are a reassurance to someone who is old enough to know who Buddy Holly was.

The USB plug is really, really small and virtually invisible if you plug it into a front mount port on a workstation. I put a piece of fluorescent duck tape around the end of the plug just as a little loss prevention measure.

I like the MK 320's mouse a little better than the 520, but they are both pretty granular and you can design in Xara sometimes with little more than a wrist twitch, I use a pad that's half a US letter size and I don't think I have excursions farther than half that area.

The 520 is about $40 on Amazon, but I've discovered that if you can't wait for delivery (like you broke your keyboard over the weekend) WalMart's electronics department always has the 520 in stock for around $45.

The 320 is a nice unit to put away for instant backup in case of coffee immersions, and you can order it for $24.00, free standard shipping.

I think Logitech has survived this long in a low-profit segment of tech because they understand pricing, they understand value, and they innovate. I've had great luck in videoconferencing with their bottom-of-the-line webcam (about $25, includes software, you're good to go once you find a handshake host), and the worst I can say is that we need to design them a new logo. ;)

My Best,

Gary

I'm still using my 320 set as it turned out the issue I had was with a KVM switch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I wish they'd bundle the 520 keyboard with the 320 optical mouse, although I think you can buy them separately and spend a little more money total.

The 320 kb isn't a good match for my ham hands! It's a shallower footprint and the keys aren't as clicky, but they're still better than the Microsoft equivalent, IMO.

-g