Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hello,

With Xara X is it possible to replicate an object along a path/curve. I have a 1000 objects that i need to send around an elliptical path.

Also, can xara x display a list of individual objects in a layer or just the layers themselves. In coreldraw/illustrator i use the object list frequently. I've been able to get by just fine in xara without the list, but if it does exist i'd like to use it.

Thanks for your help.

Phil

Hello,

With Xara X is it possible to replicate an object along a path/curve. I have a 1000 objects that i need to send around an elliptical path.

Also, can xara x display a list of individual objects in a layer or just the layers themselves. In coreldraw/illustrator i use the object list frequently. I've been able to get by just fine in xara without the list, but if it does exist i'd like to use it.

Thanks for your help.

Phil

About replicating object along a path, could it be the Blend-function you are looking for? First you draw the path (curve) and then you create a blend between the objects you want replicated. Select the blend and the path, and select the Blend-tool. On the Blend-toolbar you find a button for blending along a curve. (see figure)

About the object list, I don't believe there is one. I am missing that function too, it's really nifty when you have complex compositions.

-Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blend-curve.gif 
Views:	390 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	10305  
    Paul the Gnurfmeister!
    Home: http://www.gnurf.net/v3/ | My stuff for sale: http://www.zazzle.com/gnurf* | Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/pasoderholm

Hello Phil, you will find another use for blends along curves here:

Blends on curve with an offset

Kindly,
    ivan

Paul, here is the closet thing I could think of to display individual objects (but not, unfortunately, in their respective layers).

You COULD name objects manually and then they'd appear in the Name Gallery. I am, however, not sure how many named objects could be created in Xara file (is there a limit ... any one at Xara Ltd know?).

Just press the "Label" icon in the Info Bar or the "New" button in the Name Gallery. Below shows how the name is displayed when the red ellipse which I had named as "1" is selected.

Name:	Paul.gif 
Views:	344 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	5031  

Thank you Paul & Ivan for the blending option. I have used it before in xara and coreldraw or illustrator...just forgot about it.

Thank you John for bringing up the name gallery. I should try using that one of these days...:0)

The "real" reason why i brought up the duplication along a path question is because i have a friend doing patent drawings. For one of them he needed to draw hundreds of treads around a belt. He created one & then manually duplicated it around the path. It looks good, but i thought there must be an easier way. I'm going to suggest the blending method to him. It will definitely also come in handy for me.

THANKS,

Phil

philjaeger wrote:</p><blockquote>

i have a friend doing patent drawings. For one of them he needed to draw hundreds of treads around a belt.</p></blockquote>

Sounds like a job for brushes. Here's a quick, deliberately crude example:</p>

Name:	example.gif 
Views:	278 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	9388  

In case you don't have the names gallery, here it is. Hopefully it's self-explanitory, if not, ask!

Like John said, you can name any object or any number of objects an it will show up here for reference later. But if you don't name it, the only way you're be able to differentiate between them are by the categories shown below. Sorry about the picture quality, had to lower it a lot so it wouldn't be a huge file

Hope this helps

Steve Newport

Name:	name.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	12931  
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

In WebXealot 24

The Blend Tool is explained in painful detail in

WebXealot 19

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Thank you Andrew,

The brush tool is perfect! Now, i didn't now that was possible.

Phil