Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Line segment alignment. On center, edge, or by direction? Seeing odd effects.

Using an older Xara: 4.0.1.5601 I decided to make a quick grid by duplicating and moving line segments around.

Regardless of the settings I chose, it seems that I could not get consistent behavior, or at least understand what the rule was.

When snapping to the grid is enabled (but not snapping to other objects):
    • If I move a horizontal line in one direction, it would "land" to the side of what the gridline indicated.
    • If I move that line *past* that vertical position and then reversed direction, it would land to the other side of the gridline.

It's as if there is a setting somewhere for snapping the leading or trailing edge of a line segment (which of course is in reality had its path widened to a rectangle) depending upon motion.

I can't seem to see anywhere in the documentation where it defines this behavior.

Default Re: Line segment alignment. On center, edge, or by direction? Seeing odd effects.

I no longer have V4 installed and am using XDPX and as far as I can tell it does not exhibit that behavior. So I'm no help. Hopefully someone will come along that knows.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Default Re: Line segment alignment. On center, edge, or by direction? Seeing odd effects.

When "Scale line widths" is on the line attributes are taken into account. Turn it off to snap just the mathematical centres of lines and shapes.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by PhilM View Post
    When "Scale line widths" is on the line attributes are taken into account. Turn it off to snap just the mathematical centres of lines and shapes.

Phil
    *PERFECT* That was it!!!!! Thanks!!!!!