Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default PNG can have rounded corners, a JPEG can not? Workaround is possibly borders?

I might have gotten bum information: I probably should have purchased Xara Photo and Graphic Designer MX 2013 but instead I bought Web Designer 9 Premium (someone told me all of the graphics stuff is included in the web versions)

that said... I need to make rounded corners of images, from what I've been able to garner: a PNG can have rounded corners, a JPEG can not
    the work around is said to be to add a border to the rectangular jpeg, then round the edges of said border, then color the border the same as the web background (effectively creating round corners of an object that really has 90° right angles)

So... I load up my rectangular image... then..
    what are the steps to create a border (one that will permit me to do as described above)?

The youtube tutorials I've been able to find thus far, seem to be for older versions of Xara software and/ or they include some kind of ClipView tool that apparently the Web Designer does not include

thanks in advance

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: PNG can have rounded corners, a JPEG can not? Workaround is possibly borders?

This is doable in web designer and right on up to designer pro if you have your photo already on the page take note of it's size in pixels (you will be able to see this on the info bar at the top) Use the rectangle tool and create a rectangle the same size as your photo and select the rounded corners option on the info bar and adjust the corners as you need. At this point you can delete your photo from the page. Don't worry the program retains it in the bitmap gallery as long as the program remains open even if you delete it from the page. With your rounded rectangle selected select the fill tool (the little paint bucket) and from the drop down list that you should now see on the infobar select bitmap as the fill type. The rectangle will now become filled with the default bitmap. Open the Bitmap gallery and you will see your photo in the list. Just click and drag and drop it onto the rectangle and your photo will fill the rounded rectangle!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Default Re: PNG can have rounded corners, a JPEG can not? Workaround is possibly borders?

You could try creating a rectangle the width and height of your photo.
    The Rectangle Tool has a Change selector for curved corners that can be resized.
    Next add a suitable Line width and colour for its border.

With the Fill Tool you select the Bitmap dropdown and choose your required photo.
    This can be adjusted further with the Fill control handles.

If you are going to export the result as a JPEG, you should colour or place the same background as the destination behind your photo.

Acorn

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I forgot to mention putting the background/colour behind the photo before exporting as jpeg Thanks Acorn!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

As always in Xara there's more than one way to achieve the same goal. Here is a VIDEO showing my preferred method, the end results are exactly the same though.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Nice Vid
    "Your never too old to Rock and Roll" ......
    ~Ronald Belford Scott 1946-1980